- Lord Voldemort: "And here we have Crabbe… you will do better this time, will you not, Crabbe? And you, Goyle? The same goes for you, Nott."
- Nott: "My Lord, I prostrate myself before you, I am your most faithful —"
- Lord Voldemort: "That will do."
- — Lord Voldemort to Nott at Little Hangleton graveyard[src]
Nott (fl. 1965 – 1996) was a wizard and one of the earliest Death Eaters of Lord Voldemort, having joined by around 1965. He fought in the First Wizarding War, and travelled to Hogsmeade in order to "wish good luck" to Tom Riddle in trying to get a teacher position at Hogwarts. He was the husband of Mrs Nott, who died in the 1980s, and the father of Theodore Nott, a Slytherin student at Hogwarts from 1991-1998. Nott didn't search for Voldemort after his downfall, but this was forgiven after Voldemort's return in 1995. Nott fought at several battles of the Second Wizarding War, including the Battle of the Department of Mysteries, in which he was injured. After the Battle of Hogwarts and Voldemort's final defeat, he was presumably killed or imprisoned in Azkaban.
Nott was born into the pure-blood Nott family, which placed much interest in purity of blood. He began attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry at the age of eleven and was most likely Sorted into Slytherin House. He might have been a classmate of Tom Riddle, as well as a member of his gang. While part of the student body, he seems to have become a friend of Horace Slughorn, and as such was likely part of the Slug Club, although the professor denied this connection in later years, after Nott was revealed to have become one of the first Death Eaters.
First Wizarding War
Nott fought in the First Wizarding War, and, along with Mulciber, Rosier and Dolohov, he had travelled to Hogsmeade , to "say good luck to Voldemort, during his attempt to ask for work at Hogwarts." Nott was able to avoid being sent to Azkaban after the downfall of Lord Voldemort in 1981. An elderly widower, Nott raised his son, Theodore, after the death of his wife sometime before 1991. Nott was also one of the Death Eaters who did not search for Voldemort after his downfall.
Second Wizarding War
Battle of the Department of Mysteries
The following year, Nott participated in the Battle of the Department of Mysteries. He grabbed hold of Harry Potter as he and his friends fled the Hall of Prophecy, but was stunned by Hermione Granger, leaving him incapacitated as shelves filled with prophecies collapsed around him. The group leader, Lucius Malfoy, ordered the other Death Eaters to leave Nott behind, stating that his injuries would be considered nothing by Voldemort compared to the loss of the particular prophecy which Voldemort sought. After the battle, Nott was exposed as a Death Eater and imprisoned in Azkaban.
After this, Nott most likely escaped from Azkaban along with many other Death Eaters in the summer of 1997 and served Voldemort during the height of the Second Wizarding War. He possibly fought in several battles, including the Battle of Hogwarts.
Behind the scenes
- While Paschal Friel is credited as playing Knott [sic], he may also have been played by Philip Rham in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ The Nott Family are on the Sacred Twenty Eight, written by a member of their family, who would know the blood status of his own family.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 20 (Lord Voldemort's Request) - "“Then if I were to go to the Hog’s Head tonight, I would not find a group of them — Nott, Rosier, Mulciber, Dolohov — awaiting your return?" This is after Dumbledore has become headmaster which is after Lupin was bitten by Fenrir Greyback shortly before March 1965.
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 33 (The Death Eaters)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 35 (Beyond the Veil)
- ↑ Although an old CV at CastingCall Pro lists his role as Knott [sic] he is the only of the six actors credited as Death Eaters that resembles Crabbe when he is unmasked (see this image)
Alecto Carrow | Amycus Carrow | Antonin Dolohov | Augustus Rookwood | Avery (I) | Avery (II) |
Barty Crouch Jr. | Bellatrix Lestrange | Cedric Diggory (third revised timeline) | Crabbe | Evan Rosier | Gibbon | Goyle |
Jugson | Lestrange | Mulciber (I) | Mulciber (II) | Nott | Pyrites (possibly) | Rabastan Lestrange | Rodolphus Lestrange | Rosier | Selwyn | Thorfinn Rowle | Travers | Walden Macnair | Wilkes | Corban Yaxley
|Death Eaters who Defected:|
|Death Eaters' allies:|
Albert Runcorn | Blaise Zabini (movie only) | Borgin | Delphini | Dolores Umbridge | Fenrir Greyback | Golgomath |
Gregory Goyle | John Dawlish | Mafalda Hopkirk | Narcissa Malfoy (defected) | Pansy Parkinson | Quirinus Quirrell | Scabior | Vincent Crabbe
Dementors | Draco Malfoy's gang | Giants (Golgomath's control) | Muggle-Born Registration Commission | Snatchers | Werewolves