The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1 was the first book in The Standard Book of Spells series, written by Miranda Goshawk. It was a required textbook for first year students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Charms differ from Transfiguring Spells in the following manner: a charm adds certain properties to an object or creature, whereas a transfiguring spell will change it into something utterly different.
The lesser charms are not very difficult to break and many of those that you learn as a young wizard will wear off in a matter of days or even hours.
Dark charms are known as jinxes, hexes and curses. This book does not deal with such spells.
Lapses in concentration while charming can result in painful side effects – remember Wizard Baruffio, who said ‘s’ instead of ‘f’ and found himself lying on the floor with a buffalo on his chest.
Some charms will be ineffective on large creatures such as trolls, whose hides repel all but the more powerful spells.
- Wand-Lighting Charm (Chapter 2)
- Softening Charm
- Severing Charm
- Fire-Making Spell
- Unlocking Charm
- Levitation Charm (Chapter 7)
- Locking Spell
- Mending Charm
Behind the scenes
- In the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, the Knockback Jinx is learned from this book. However, the book's description in Pottermore states: "Dark charms are known as jinxes, hexes and curses. This book does not deal with such spells."
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Pottermore
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Ginny Weasley presumably purchased this book at Flourish and Blotts, and was one of the ones seen when Lucius Malfoy slipped Tom Riddle's diary to her.
|Grade 1 · Grade 2 · Grade 3 · Grade 4 · Grade 5 · Grade 6|
|Charms included in the series: Fire-Making Spell · Levitation Charm · Locking Spell · Mending Charm · Softening Charm · Severing Charm · Unlocking Charm · Dancing Feet Spell · Disarming Charm · Engorgement Charm · Freezing Charm · General Counter-Spell · Memory Charm · Tickling Charm · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Substantive Charm|