|The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection|
The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection is a book authored by Professor Quentin Trimble. This book provides insight and information on various dark creatures, it also contains some defensive spells, such as the Knockback Jinx.
It was a required textbook for both first year and fourth year Defence Against the Dark Arts students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This book was an item on the 1991 school list of things needed.
- Curse of the Bogies
- Green Sparks
- Hags - The hag is a child-eating creature of human appearance, though likely to have more warts than the average witch.
- Knockback Jinx
- Red Caps - Avoid the Red Cap, a Dark dwarfish creature that lurks in places where blood has been shed and will attempt to bludgeon the unwary to death.
- Red Sparks
- Smokescreen Spell
- Wand-Extinguishing Charm
- Wand-Lighting Charm
- Werewolf Bites - Werewolf bites should be thoroughly and magically cleaned, as the werewolf’s fangs are venomous. However, there is no cure once you have become a werewolf, so try and avoid being bitten at all costs.
- Zombies - The Zombie dwells only in the Southern part of America. It is an example, like the Vampire, of the and may be recognised by its greyish colour and its rotten smell.
Behind the scenes
- It is possible, given that this was the required textbook for that year and that Moody wanted his class to read about resisting the Imperius Curse, that such a topic was covered in this book.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (PS2 version only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Notes and references