Before 1991 (possibly)
- Termeritus: "Ere, blimey, if it isn't Harry Potter! Read all about you I has. Everything. Always in the paper you are."
- Harry: "Er, yeah. Only, most of it's not true."
- Termeritus: "Not true?! Not true?! Aw, it's in black and white innit? Got to be true."
- — Termeritus Shanks's portrait and Harry Potter in 1995.[src]
Termeritus Shanks was a wizard. He seems to like reading newspapers, and is interested in knowing the headlines of the day. He believed every word he read on the Daily Prophet, including the stories about Harry Potter and Albus Dumbledore published during the 1995–1996 school year. There are portraits of him hung on the walls of Hogwarts Castle.
By 1995, Shanks had a portrait hung at the Hogwarts Library, guarding a shortcut to the fourth-floor corridor, under the password "No news is good news". Said shortcut was reserved to the staff only. When Harry Potter, who was being highly discredited by the Daily Prophet at the time, asked if he could use this secret passageway, Shanks made an exception for the student was constantly featured on the paper. The portrait agreed to give the student the password in exchange for the headline of the day ("TRAGIC DEMISE OF MINISTRY OF MAGIC WORKER", concerning Broderick Bode's assassination).
Shanks's portrait was kept at the same place at the Library, but hiding a different shortcut, leading to the Grand Staircase. The new password was "Happy Headlines". The same shortcut could also lead to the second-floor corridor. When Shanks heard Harry Potter talking to Hermione Granger about Draco Malfoy's mysterious endeavours at the seventh floor, he gladly told him the new password in order to help him on what he deemed a "big scoop".
Personality and traits
Termeritus Shanks was quite a naive wizard, believing everything he read on the papers. Despite this he was brave, speaking Lord Voldemort's name out loud when he was at large. He would gladly help students in matters he deemed to be sensational, to the point of giving his password to them despite the passageway being reserved only to the staff.
Behind the scenes
- Shanks may have passed away sometime prior to 1991 as many portraits hung at Hogwarts Castle depict deceased individuals.
- Termeritus was voiced in both the video game version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince video games by Jonathan Kydd.
- Shanks' portrait bears a resemblance to a real-world portrait of a young King James I of England.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (First appearance) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (PS1 version only) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Appears in portrait(s)) (First identified as Temeritus Shanks)
Notes and references
- ↑ The portrait was seen wearing clothes similar to those worn by Gilderoy Lockhart in the Duelling Club sequence of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Also, he is seen wearing a ruff, placing him around the mid-sixteenth century to the mid-seventeenth century; it would be unlikely that a sixteenth/seventeenth century lady would be portrayed wearing trousers.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) - NDS version
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) - Chapter 22 (The Diary)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) - GBA version
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- ↑ Seen under the entrance to the Grand Staircase.
Armoury · Charms Corridor · Class 34 · Classroom 2E · Classroom 3C · Clock Tower Entrance · Flipendo Challenge · Lumos Challenge · Wingardium Leviosa Challenge · Gunhilda of Gorsemoor Corridor · Hesperius Hall · Jinx Rooms · The Tower · Library · One-Eyed Witch Passage · Storeroom · Third Floor Corridor · Trophy Room · Trophy Secret Passage · Turret Stairwell · Vastus Vestibule
Basil Fronsac · Brutus Scrimgeour · Damara Dodderidge · Drunk Monks · Google Flange · Gunhilda of Gorsemoor · Helena Ravenclaw · Merwyn the Malicious · Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington · Shepherdess · Temeritus Shanks · Valeria Myriadd · Witch in green · Witch in Pompadour hairstyle · Wizard in black · Wizard in red
Classroom 6A · Classroom 6B · Corridor · Disused bathroom · East Wing · Empty classroom · Floor 6 Bonus · Glanmore Peakes' Corridor · Horace Slughorn's office · Room of Rewards · Storeroom · Writing Supplies Room
Damara Dodderidge · Edgar Stroulger · Edessa Sakndenberg · Glanmore Peakes · Selina Sapworthy · Skeleton in a top hat · Portrait in storeroom · Temeritus Shanks · Vindictus Viridian · Wendelin the Weird