To make phone calls
- "Mrs. Weasley had braved the telephone in the village post office to order three ordinary Muggle taxis to take them into London."
- —-Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
A telephone is a Muggle device used to communicate long distances, and is powered by electricity. Wizards, such as Ron Weasley, underestimate their abilities, feeling the need to shout into the phone to be heard. The wizarding world equivalent is owl post and the Floo Network. Arthur Weasley frequently referred to the telephone as a "fellytone." On 1 November 1981, Vernon Dursley made "several important phone calls" while at Grunnings and later nearly dialed his home number after becoming panicked about the strange activity around him, but thought better of it. Later that day, Jim McGuffin reported on the television news that viewers had phoned him about downpours of shooting stars, rather than promised rain. In 1991, when Harry Potter observed Rubeus Hagrid using owl post to send a letter to Albus Dumbledore, he thought that Hagrid sat down as though what he had done was as normal as talking on the telephone. During the summer holidays of 1992, Harry talked with Arthur Weasley about how to use a telephone. Arthur said of the process: "Fascinating! Ingenious really, how many ways Muggles have found of getting along without magic." In 1993, Ronald Weasley attempted a telephone call to Harry Potter, Harry having given both him and Hermione the telephone number for 4 Privet Drive at the end of the previously school year. It went poorly, however, because he shouted into the receiver and mentioned Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry after Vernon Dursley took the call. After this, Hermione decided it would be better not to call, as it might get Harry in trouble again. Molly Weasley "braved" using a telephone in 1994 to get 3 taxis to escort the Weasley family, Harry Potter and Hermione Granger to King's Cross Station in London to board the Hogwarts Express.
A telephone booth is used as the visitor's entrance to the British Ministry of Magic. Dialing 62442 (telephone number code for "magic") allows one to make a connection, allowing them to state their business, receive a badge, and then transport down into the Ministry.
Behind the scenes
- On the main page of the J. K. Rowling Official Site in the upper right corner was a mobile telephone, prior to the site's April 2012 redesign Punching in 62442 on the phone's keypad (the same combination used to access the visitor's entrance of the Ministry of Magic, and telephone code for "Magic") caused a brief voice clip of J. K. Rowling answering the phone to play.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mentioned in Daily Prophet)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Possible appearance) (Briefly)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (As telephone booth)
- J. K. Rowling Official Site (As telephone number)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)