- "'He's got lots 'o rats and some brandy fer the journey,' said Hagrid in a muffled voice. 'An' I've packed his teddy bear in case he gets lonely.' From inside the crate came ripping noises that sounded to Harry as though the teddy was having his head torn off."
- —Norbert(a)'s teddy bear suffers a grim fate.[src]
A teddy bear is a stuffed toy that is played with by Muggle and wizarding children alike, shaped roughly in the form of a bear. It is unknown whether wizard-owned teddy bears have magical properties which Muggle-owned ones do not.
Two weeks after Norberta, a Norwegian Ridgeback dragon, hatched in 1992, she grew so large that her keeper, Rubeus Hagrid, was forced to ship her off to the Romanian Dragon Sanctuary. Fearing that she would be lonely on the way there, Hagrid put her teddy bear inside the crate, but she quickly tore it to shreds.
At the age of three, Ron Weasley had his teddy bear turned into a "dirty great spider" by his older brother Fred, because he broke the older boy's toy broomstick. This event triggered Ron's fear of spiders.
When Harry was an infant he owned a teddy bear at Godric's Hollow.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Fred was two years older than Ron, meaning he would have been five years old when he transformed Ron's teddy bear. Children that young typically have no control over their magic, thus Fred probably performed magic unintentionally, though it is possible that he took the wand of one of his parents or older brothers to perform the spell.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Appears in flashback(s))