|Edward Remus Lupin|
|Also known as||
Changeable at will (possibly biologically dark brown or green)
Changeable at will (most likely pale)
Edward Remus "Teddy" Lupin (b. April, 1998) was the son and only child of the late Remus and Nymphadora Lupin (née Tonks). He was a Metamorphmagus like his mother. He was named in honour of Nymphadora's father, Edward Tonks, who was killed shortly before his birth, and his father Remus who was murdered during the Battle of Hogwarts. Harry Potter was named as his godfather.
Ted Lupin was born in April, 1998 to Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks. He was named in honour of his maternal grandfather Edward Tonks. On May 2, 1998, his mother and father both fought in the Battle of Hogwarts, leaving him with his maternal grandmother Andromeda Tonks. Unfortunately, both Teddy's parents died in the battle, leaving him an orphan and was therefore raised by his grandmother and usually spent much of his time with the Potter and Weasley families.
Teddy, described as a "lanky, half-werewolf", attended the 2014 Quidditch World Cup with his family, but Rita Skeeter, who wrote a scathing article that he featured in, felt he was behaving in a very shameful way, as he sought out dark corners and was constantly snogging Victoire Weasley.
During the final of the Quidditch World Cup between Bulgaria and Brazil, Teddy and Victoire seemed be, as reported by Rita Skeeter, "far more interested in what they were saying to each other than" the match, causing Bill to swap seats with his "now sulky" daughter. Later, Bill took his attention off his daughter, allowing her and Teddy to "find their way back into adjacent seats"..
On 1 September, 2017, Teddy came to Platform Nine and Three-Quarters to see off Victoire Weasley, with whom he was in a romantic relationship, in which case, they were distantly related through marriage. It was remarked that it would be nice if he was an official member of the Potter/Weasley family. Of the three Potter children, he seemed to be the closest with the youngest, Lily. She didn't laugh at his relationship with Victoire Weasley, unlike her brother James. Lily very much hoped Victoire and Teddy would get married so that he would become a real part of their family.
Teddy's mother and father were killed by Death Eaters Bellatrix Lestrange and Antonin Dolohov, respectively, during the Battle of Hogwarts, leaving their son an orphan. Teddy was thus brought up by his maternal grandmother, Andromeda Tonks, and saw a lot of the Potter and Weasley families, visiting at least four times a week for dinner.
On his mother's side, Teddy is also related to the Black and Malfoy families; Narcissa Malfoy is his great-aunt, Lucius Malfoy is his great-uncle, making Draco Malfoy his second cousin once removed and Scorpius Malfoy his second cousin. His mother's murderer, the late Bellatrix Lestrange, was also his great-aunt. Bellatrix's husband, Rodolphus Lestrange is also his great-uncle. His grandmother and two great-aunts's cousins, Sirius Black and Regulus Black are his first cousins twice removed.
Harry Potter, of whom Remus and Nymphadora deeply trusted and always liked, was asked by the couple to become Teddy's godfather, to which Harry accepted.
- "Edward" is derived from the Old English words ead, meaning "blessed", and weard, meaning "guard", and has been the name of many members of the English nobility and royalty. 
- The name "Remus" comes from the brothers Romulus and Remus, the legendary brothers who fought in their adulthood, and of whom Romulus became the founder of Rome, who were raised by wolves. Interestingly, Romulus was the codename used by Ted's father on Potterwatch.
- "Lupin" derives from the Latin lupus meaning "wolf".
Behind the scenes
- Luke Newberry was cast as Ted Lupin in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, but he was cut from the ending of the film and he is only mentioned by Remus to Harry. Teddy also does not appear in any of the deleted scenes on the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 DVD and Blu-ray.
- Teddy's origins are supposed to reflect Harry's, who lost both parents to Voldemort as well. However, unlike Harry, Teddy grows up in a new and safe world, surrounded by loving family and friends.
- Teddy's House is unknown, but he has close relatives in at least three Houses: his father was a Gryffindor, his mother was a Hufflepuff, and his grandmother who raised him was a Slytherin.
- Both Teddy and Victoire Weasley have fathers who were attacked by the werewolf Fenrir Greyback.
- J.K. Rowling stated that part of the reason she wrote the epilogue was to inform many eventual heartbroken readers that although Teddy never knew his parents, he was surrounded by friends and family that cared deeply for him and had a pleasant childhood.
- Teddy shares many traits with Neville Longbottom: both of their parents were injured by Death Eaters (Teddy's parents died, while Neville's parents were driven insane), both of these incidents involved Bellatrix Lestrange, and both were raised by their grandmothers, Andromeda and Augusta, respectively.
- Both Teddy and Victoire have mothers with unique traits; Fleur Delacour has Veela blood, and Nymphadora Tonks was a Metamorphmagus.
- Victoire and Teddy are fourth cousins once removed, as both are distant descendants of Phineas Nigellus Black.
- Teddy is the second cousin of Scorpius Malfoy.
- Ted is named after Edward Tonks, his maternal grandfather.
- Following Teddy's birth, Remus Lupin stated to the occupants of Shell Cottage that Teddy had changed his hair colour from black to ginger in the hour since he had been born. This suggests that Teddy's natural hair colour could in fact be black like that of his great aunt Bellatrix and first cousin twice removed, Sirius Black.
- In a Privet Drive scene at the beginning of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, Tonks almost announces that she is pregnant before she is interrupted by Mad-Eye Moody.
- Teddy is like his godfather, Harry Potter, in a lot of ways. First, they both lost their parents to Voldemort; James and Lily Potter died when Voldemort came to their home, and Remus and Nymphadora died in the Battle of Hogwarts. Second, they both grew up with family; Harry grew up with his uncle, Vernon, aunt, Petunia, and cousin, Dudley, and Teddy grew up with his grandmother Andromeda. Third, they were both in infancy when their parents died; Harry was one, Teddy wasn't even a month old. Fourth, both their fathers were Marauders.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Mentioned only) (Cut from final edit)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Following Teddy's birth, Remus Lupin stated to the occupants of Shell Cottage that Teddy had changed his hair colour from black to ginger in the hour since he had been born. This suggests that Teddy's natural hair colour could in fact be black like that of his great aunt Bellatrix and first cousin twice removed, Sirius Black.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Pottermore - New from J.K. Rowling: Daily Prophet ("Dumbledore's Army Returns", 8 July 2014)
- ↑ His mother, Nymphadora, has "Dark twinkling eyes" and his father has "green" eyes, so it is possible that Teddy had one of these eye colours.
- ↑ None of his know parents or grandparents have dark skin, meaning that for at least two generations, Teddy had pale skinned ancestors who would have shown at least some signs of dark skinned ancestry if they had any.
- ↑ Pottermore - New From J. K. Rowling - Remus Lupin
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 2007 Bloomsbury Chat with J. K. Rowling
- ↑ http://www.pottermore.com/en/daily-prophet/qwc2014/2014-07-11/the-qwc2014-final%7C Bulgaria vs Brazil 2014 final
- ↑ J.K. Rowling and the Live Chat, Bloomsbury.com, July 30, 2007
- ↑ JK Rowling web chat, 30th July
- ↑ Behind the Name: Edward
- ↑ http://ajmanagement.co.uk/clientDetail.asp?intClientID=157
- ↑ J.K. Rowling: I wanted to kill parents, MSBNC.com interview, 29th July 2007
- ↑ Black family tree