Tea is a typical British beverage made with tea leaves and hot water.
After the incident of the vanishing glass at the Zoo in Surrey in 1991, the Zoo director served Petunia Dursley strong, sweet tea while apologising over and over again. A bit later that same year, Rubeus Hagrid's first request upon arriving at the Hut-on-the-Rock was to ask if tea could be made for him, though he commented that he wouldn't say no to something stronger. When no tea served to him, he made it himself and shared it with Harry Potter.
In Harry's third year, Sybill Trelawney served her Divination class tea, and had them read the remaining tea leaves after they drank. Trelawney told Harry she saw he had the Grim in Harry's tea leaves.
In Harry's fifth year, Dolores Umbridge brought him into her office following Albus Dumbledore's escape. She rather forcibly offered Harry a choice of drinks, and after he chose tea, she slipped an entire bottle of (later revealed false, courtesy of Severus Snape) Veritaserum into the tea to try and get Harry to give up information she deemed important. However, Harry, feeling that she was up to something, did not drink any of the tea, and instead, dumped the contents into a vase of dried flowers when she wasn't looking.
Behind the scenes
- In Britain, tea is often used as a term to describe an afternoon snack time. In America, it is only ever used in the drink form.
- The Pottermore team originally posted a pair of mugs containing tea leaves on the Insider section of Pottermore, asking for people to send their interpritaions, on the 7th of December. On the 14th of the same month, the had posted up a set of three with clearer images, showing a rat, a dog, and a hippogriff - each representing a moment and chapter from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, which is soon to be published on Pottermore. The chapters represented shall be revealed on the Insider section of Pottermore on Monday, December 17th.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World (Mentioned as tea leaves)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World (Mentioned as tea leaves)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)