|Ministry of Magic Classification||
Tawny Owl (binomial name Strix aluco) is a stocky, medium-sized owl commonly found in woodlands across much of Eurasia. Its underparts are pale with dark streaks, and the upperparts are either brown or grey.
Early in the morning on 1 November, 1981, a large tawny owl, one of several owls that would be traversing the skies that day due to Voldemort's recent downfall, passed by the windows of 4 Privet Drive. It was unseen by the Dursley family, who were busy with their morning routine.
Harry Potter's third year supply list and Hogsmeade permission form, as well as a letter and birthday present from Rubeus Hagrid, were delivered to him by a tawny owl from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This owl was very professional, "ruffling its feathers importantly" and leaving immediately after delivering its load.
Neville Longbottom's grandmother, Augusta, has a tawny owl that she sometimes uses to send him things that he forgot. A tawny owl was amongst the owls that delivered hate mail to Hermione Granger in February 1995 following the publication of the article "Harry Potter's Secret Heartache" in Witch Weekly. Later that year, on 26 May, another tawny delivered her a copy of the morning's Daily Prophet, which she scanned and her to her delight discovered that Rita Skeeter had not uncovered the strange events regarding Bartemius Crouch Sr. that happened two nights past.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (PS1 version only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Tawny Owl on Wikipedia
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Tawny Owl at Wikipedia
- ↑ Pottermore
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - Chapter 1 (The Boy Who Lived)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Chapter 1 (Owl Post)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 13 - (Mad-Eye Moody)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 28 - (The Madness of Mr Crouch)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 29 - (The Dream)