To predict the future
- "The Headmaster has intimated that he would prefer fewer visits from me. I am not one to press my company upon those who do not value it. If Dumbledore chooses to ignore the warnings the cards show. Again and again, no matter how I lay them out - the lightning-struck tower, Calamity. Disaster. Coming nearer all the time ..."
- —Professor Trelawney speaking to Harry about the warnings she saw in the cards[src]
Tarot cards are used in the art of Divination, specifically the field of Cartomancy. During the 1996–1997 school year Sybill Trelawney was making frequent visits to Albus Dumbledore's office to tell him about the bad omens she was seeing in the cards. She also attempted to consult with Firenze regarding this matter, but he apparently knew nothing of cartomancy and seemed to find her "comical."
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Notes and references
|Professors: Sybill Trelawney · Firenze|
|Known Seers: Calchas · Cassandra Vablatsky · Cassandra Trelawney · Inigo Imago · Mopsus · Professor Mopsus · Unidentified female Seer · Unidentified male Seer|
|Textbooks: The Dream Oracle · Unfogging the Future|
|Methods: Astrology · Cartomancy · Tarot cards · Crystal-gazing · Crystal ball · Dream interpretation · Fire-omens · Heptomology · Palmistry · Ornithomancy · Tessomancy|
|Divination at Hogwarts: Divination (class) · Divination Classroom · Divination staircase · Sybill Trelawney's office · Classroom 11|