Lucius is born in 1954 or late 1953 (age mentioned in book 5), so he started at Hogwarts in 1965 or 1966, no 1967 and was in his sixth or seventh year when Snape and co. was in their first year. Prefect can be also sixth and seventh year. Or is it mentioned that he was just fifth year when the Marauders, Snape and Lily started at Hogwarts?
- It is not mentioned what year Lucius is in, just that he has a prefect's badge glinting on his chest. Please sign your edits with four tildes (~) thanks! --Margiechocoholic Owl me! 09:30, November 17, 2009 (UTC)
- The Battle of the Department of Mysteries was in the summer of 1996, and Lucius was captured following it (Order of the Phoenix spans from the summer of 1995 to the summer of 1996). - Cavalier One(Wizarding Wireless Network) 21:33, 8 December 2007 (UTC)
Saying the killing curse Edit
In the movie they have Lucius Malfoy saying the killing curse when he set his house elf free. --Lupin & Kingsley 23:45, 8 January 2009 (UTC)
Yes he did:
- "You lost me my servent! (takes out his wands and starts saying Avada Kedavra)"
- —Lucius Malfoy
In the behind the scenes section of his article it says that they didn't tell Jason Isaacs what curse to use so he used the first one that came to his mind, which just happened to be Avada Kedavra. Alumeng 20:02, September 9, 2011 (UTC)
I didn't know he wuz in azkaban! Edit
When did dis happen! YIKES! :P
- This happened after the Battle of the Department of Mysteries. Oh, and please sign your message with 4 tildes (`) ShirleyA(The Quibbler) 10:15, 24 May 2009 (UTC)
Animagus or Patronus? Edit
In Deathly Hallows, Snape and Yaxley see a white peacock on the bush. They comment, "He always did himself well, Lucius. Peacocks...". Could this possibly be a patronus, pet or animagus? 22.214.171.124 03:52, 18 July 2009 (UTC)
- Nope, just pets. -- 04:06, 18 July 2009 (UTC)
We saw peacocks at the Quidditch World Cup campground. "Halfway up the field stood an extravagant confection of striped silk like a miniature palace, with several live peacocks tethered at the entrance." Was this the Malfoy's tent?
- J.K. said that Death Eater's can't perform Patronus's except for Snape so it isn't a Patronus, and he was at the meeting, so it wasn't his Animagus form. Alumeng 20:05, September 9, 2011 (UTC)
Two wands? Edit
In the Battle at the Dept. of Mysteries in the film, Lucius Malfoy clearly has two wands ( http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/File:DeathEatersBattle.jpg ). I watched the scene earlier today but couldn't tell where it comes from. Any suggestions?
126.96.36.199 03:48, 21 August 2009 (UTC)Oseph
It's the main body of his cane. He was using it to block Sirius's jinxes, while attacking with his wand. Jayden Matthews 07:00, 21 August 2009 (UTC)
The infobox is repeatably changed to Ministry of Magic. Lucius didn´t work. He used his money to influence it, but didn´t actually work there. Do you think we should change it to the Slytherin one? He left the Death Eaters in the Battle of Hogwarts.--Rodolphus 10:33, October 9, 2009 (UTC)
- Well, it was somewhat a last minute change of allegiance. Perhaps the Dark Wizard infobox instead?
- While we're on the subject of the recent changes, I'd just like to point out a few things:
- 1 - Lucius' job and the Ministry.
- Harry: "What private business have they (Lucius & Fudge) got together anyway?"
- Arthur Weasley: "Gold, I expect. Malfoy's been giving generously to all sorts of things for years... Gets him in with the right people... then he can ask favors... delay laws he doesn't want passed... Oh, he's very well connected, Lucius Malfoy..."
- — OotP, ch.9, p.155[src]
- Does that sound more like an advisor, or a lobbyist? As Rodolphus already said, Lucius used his status and money to INFLUENCE things at the Ministry, but the last CONFIRMED job he held (other than Death Eater) was on the Hogwarts Board of Governors, which he was fired from in mid-1993.
- 2 - Lucius, not so bad?
- In 1992, Lucius sent Tom Riddle's diary to Hogwarts in part to purge the school of Muggle-borns, knowing full-well that a Muggle-born was killed the last time the Chamber was opened. Not to mention his eagerness to hand Harry and his friends over to Voldemort just to get back on his good side in Deathly Hallows, again knowing full-well what Voldemort would do to them. Just because he doesn't have the same casual bloodlust as Bellatrix and Greyback doesn't mean he isn't capable of murder. And, if you're going to include film canon, there's also his attempted use of Avada Kedavra on Harry before Dobby stops him.
- 3 - 2 wands? No.
- In the OotP film, Lucius draws his wand from his cane and duels with Sirius and Harry in the Department of Mysteries. Now, it is speculated that his cane may have some magical properties, as he IS wielding it during the duel, and when Harry disarms him of it, Sirius says "Nice one" even though Lucius still has his wand (until Sirius disarms him of it a moment later). However, this is still unverified speculation. At no point, film or book, is he shown duelling with two wands at once.
- 4 - Spacing
- The article doesn't need five to ten spaces between each section. 'Nuff said.
- Sorry for going into a bit of a rant here, but I don't want to see this continue into a pointless edit war. - Nick O'Demus 11:22, October 9, 2009 (UTC)
I haven't formed a definite opinion as to which infobox should be used for Lucius. I agree that Lucius's defection was eleventh-hour, but his motivation was his desire to protect Draco, which is similar to how Snape initially defected because he wanted to protect Lily, not simply because it was the right thing to do. ★ Starstuff (Owl me!) 12:12, October 9, 2009 (UTC)
- I definitely think the MoM infobox doesn't belong. According to HPW:LG, the "newest" infobox that fits should be used. Since he was fired from his position in 1993, he wouldn't be affiliated with it by 1998. So I agree: either the Death Eater or Dark Wizard infobox is appropriate. -- 15:36, October 11, 2009 (UTC)
- Plus, it's not specified whether the Hogwarts Board of Governors works for the Ministry or is a separate organization. - Nick O'Demus 09:22, October 12, 2009 (UTC)
I totally disagree! MoM does suit him. He was removed from the post, but he worked as a counsellor to Cornelius Fudge. He wasn't truthfully loyal to Voldemort, he just wanted to protect Draco!! Please allow it! —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk • contribs).
- Then prove it. Cite a direct quote or passage that supports that Lucius was actively employed by Fudge as an advisor, as opposed to just using his money and influence to lobby the Ministry for what he wanted. - Nick O'Demus 13:27, October 12, 2009 (UTC)
Sorry, Nick! You really have not read the books. Malfoy was a Ministry official. Many fans across the world would recognize Malfoy as a member of the MoM! He worked as Hogwarts Governor and was an advisor for the Ministry. How come Umbridge said to Snape that she heard good things about him. From who! Malfoy. From where! The MoM! —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (talk • contribs).
Who ever posted above please sign your posts. Anyways, I agree with Cubs Fan and Nick, The appropriate infobox is, Death Eater or Dark Wizard. --Profiteor 15:54, October 12, 2009 (UTC)
- Aaa. Malfoy was never referred to (as I'm aware of, and please correct me if I'm wrong) as a Ministry official. Also, the Board of Governors is not once referred to as being affiliated to the Ministry. If the Board was under the Ministry, Fudge wouldn't have to create the post of High Inquisitor in '95, because he would already be able to control the school. Also, as Nick pointed out, Lucius used his money to influence Fudge. As evidenced in OP, Lucius went to the Ministry to talk personally to Fudge after Harry's hearing. As Fudge worked closely with Umbridge (she was his Senior Undersecretary), it would seem likely that Lucius had eventually met her during one of those meetings with Fudge. -- 15:59, October 12, 2009 (UTC)
I agree with Nick, Seth and Starstuff and would think the Dark Wizard infobox fits best.--Rodolphus 16:30, October 12, 2009 (UTC)
Hi everybody! I agree with Nick, Profiteor, Seth, Starstuff, Rodolphus and Cubs Fan. There is no source that says he was officially employed by the Ministry. And even if he were, that employment would most certainately have ceased when he was arrested. His most major, and last known affilliation throught the series is the Death Eaters, and that's how I think it should stay. Jayden Matthews 17:28, October 12, 2009 (UTC)
- Hello Jayden! Hmmm. I remember something. In CoS/f Lucius says "See you at work." to Arthur at Flourish and Blotts. This implies he worked at the Ministry by 1992. However, as Jayden pointed out, he was most likely sacked when he was arrested in '96, so this isn't his most recent affiliation. As he also defected the DE, I do not agree he continues with the DE infobox. I would change it to either Slytherin or Wizard infobox, as it's assumed he also stopped practising the Dark Arts after the end of the Second War. -- 17:41, October 12, 2009 (UTC)´
- Well, the "See you at work" line is only from the film, not the book, although there doesn't seem to be anything that directly contradicts the implication. Could this then be taken as support that the Hogwarts Board of Governors are in fact part of the Ministry of Magic, likely under the Department of Magical Education? It should be worth at least a "Behind the Scenes" mention in those articles. However, that still doesn't support the insistance that he was working for Fudge as an advisor in 1994-1995. - Nick O'Demus
I´d say Slytherin. Same procedure as with Cissy,his wife.--Rodolphus 18:12, October 12, 2009 (UTC)
I still think we should use his house affiliation (as we did with Narcissa and other House of Black members) and change Umbridge to the Wizard one.--Rodolphus 16:24, October 13, 2009 (UTC)
I think the house infoboxes should only be used by those who either study or work at Hogwarts, and wizard for Umbridge and dark wizard for Malfoy. Jayden Matthews 16:27, October 13, 2009 (UTC)
- So far, the infobox candidates discussed are:
- Death Eater (deserted in mid-1998)
- Ministry of Magic (fired in mid-1993)
- Dark Wizard
- Wizarding individual
- Does anyone else feel this should go to a formal vote? - Nick O'Demus 08:33, October 14, 2009 (UTC)
- Administrative warning: While I will not be entering the discussion on what infobox best suits Malfoy, I will say two things. Firstly, the choice has to be both backed by a community consensus, and by canon statements. This may include pointing to specific references to back up your claim. Speculation will not be allowed. Secondly, any editor attempting to change the current infobox before a decision is reached will be blocked for a week to stop further disruption to the article. This does not include edits to restore the status quo. If the infobox is changed again without consensus, the article will be locked for editing to anyone but administrators until a decision is reached. I am watching. - Cavalier One(Wizarding Wireless Network) 16:27, October 13, 2009 (UTC)
I'd say Dark Wizard. He may have defected from the Death Eaters at the last minute, but he did so to save his own skin. I very much doubt that Lucius would have put a life time of predjudice behind him just because Voldemort died. Draco tells Harry and Ron that his father collects dark artifacts, he was responsible for opening the Chamber of Secrets and releasing the Basilisk even though he beleived Voldemort was dead, and Dobby refers to the Malfoy family as Dark Wizards. Jayden Matthews 09:10, October 14, 2009 (UTC)
- As no one opposes, I'm going to change it to "Dark Wizard". -- 00:05, October 25, 2009 (UTC)
No, he was a Dark wizard as the time he was also a Death Eater. He left the Dark Arts as he wasn't imprisoned, so the last affiliation is Slytherin.
I forgot again to put my name. User:Quirinus Quirrell
I think that we should have a Slytherin infobox. User:Best Wizard
So, I'm gonna change it! User:Best Wizard
I agree with Quirell and Best Wizard. We have to change it, as no one opposes! User:Greatest wizard of all time.
The infobox has already been decided on. So do not change it. Also, do you really think we can't tell that you're the same person? Jayden Matthews 09:08, November 17, 2009 (UTC)
Consensus was already reached on this issue, and the admins have already said they will block anyone who violates that consensus. Also, there is a policy regarding multiple User accounts, I suggest you read it. - Nick O'Demus 09:21, November 17, 2009 (UTC)
In prison in 1995? Edit
I read that Lucius Malfoy was in The Order of The Phoenix imprisoned, but he escaped isn't it? With that black smoke. Why didn't he escaped?--Station7 18:58, November 28, 2009 (UTC)
- He was imprisoned following the Battle of the Department of Mysteries. He only escaped Azkaban in '97 (Deathly Hallows). -- 03:03, December 8, 2009 (UTC)
- I don't know too much about Azkaban, but I'm sure they strip your magical powers in one way or another, or else a lot more people would be escaping, most likely. But yeah, like Seth said, he did escape in 1997. AlastorMoody 21:23, July 29, 2011 (UTC)
Snitchseeker has released an audio interview with Jason Issacs. who havily implies that Lucius will die in the DH film, direcctly contradicting cannon.
- Should we write something in the BTS section?--Rodolphus 16:52, March 15, 2010 (UTC)
- Lucius dosen't die. Read this interview:http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/jason-isaacs-talks-lucius-malfoys-downfall-in-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-77154/ Mr. Mortimer, 21:41, 7 November 2010 (UTC)
I have a problem!! Edit
I have a complete problem!! The Malfoys are my fav. charectors!! Lucuis has good hair and Draco is just cute. But I have a question. What made Draco and Lucius trade sides at the last min?? I dnt remember reading bout it. Thx!! —The preceding unsigned comment was added by PotterFollowers (talk • contribs).
- Voldemort treated the Malfoy family awfully from HBP on. He used the threat of death to get Draco to attempt to kill Dumbledore. After being treated as such for some time, Draco did not want to play anymore. Lucius and Narcissa defect when VOldemort would not let them look for Draco during the battle of Hogwarts. --JKoch(Owl Me!) 23:52, March 20, 2010 (UTC)
Young Lucius in HBPEdit
The blond boy bears a striking resemblence to both Jason Isaacs's portrayal of Lucius and to Tony Coburn. Can we presume that this is where young Lucius makes an appearance in the film? --02:37, March 31, 2010 (UTC)
- Wait, is this from one of Slughorn's pictures at the beginning of the film?--L.V.K.T.V.J.(Send an owl!) 03:18, March 31, 2010 (UTC)
- Yes it is. I got it from here. -- 14:12, March 31, 2010 (UTC)
- Yes, on the beginning of the film, a headline among the lines of "AZKABAN'S NEWEST RESIDENT" appears over a shot of 40-year-old-Lucius. But Tony Coburn was cast as young-Lucius, and we had no idea where this young-Lucius appeared in the film. Maybe just in this photo. Do you agree? -- 22:29, March 31, 2010 (UTC)
New Photos!! Edit
So ive been thinking that lucius page needed new photos. So i was wondering what you guys thought, and if you wanted to add these to his page. (Von Casey 23:40, July 11, 2010 (UTC))
An Error I found Edit
I read this article and while it is very in-depth and well written, I did see an error that popped up myltiples times. When Lucius Malfoy slipped the diary into Ginny's cauldron, he did not know it contained a piced of Voldemort's soul. He had no idea it would posess her in order to reopen the Chamber of Secrets. There was no elaborate plot besides trying to pin Arthur weasley's daughter with a object that is clearly full of Dark Magic to anyone who examines it closely. In order of the later books, Deathly Hallows, if I'm not mistaken, Voldemort admonishes Lucius for letting the diary fall out of his hands when it was given to him to be guarded.
Besides that I didn't see anything else off about this article. Once again it is quite good and very detailed. I was shocked when I saw how long it was(lol). Keep up the good work.
ApolloburningstarrIV 17:19, April 1, 2011 (UTC)Apollo Nymphadora Lupin
It may not be an error, Voldemort was really angry when he was thinking that so maybe he hadn't remembered or just wanted a reason to be angry with Lucius, as well as wanting a reason as to why his Horcrux was eventually destroyed. AlastorMoody 03:46, August 10, 2011 (UTC)
Lucius in Tales of Beedle the Bard Edit
I think somebody should add his encounter with Dumbledore and how he tried to get that story banned. This could go under his relationship with Dumbledore.
Hugh LeviskiHughLeviski 16:39, May 9, 2011 (UTC)
i love your evilnesss!
its soooooooooooooo cool!!!!!!!!
GO DEATH EATERS!!!!!!
Younger Sisters and Mother's Names Edit
Hello everyone. I like to do a lot of trivias, so I am a member of a website known as FunTrivia. I notied there was a quiz on Lucius Malfoy. On this quiz there was a couple of interesting questions, including which siblings did Lucius have? The correct answer according to the quiz were he have three younger sisters, who's names were Mellora, Urbana and Quintessa. I am a huge Harry Potter fan, but I wasn't aware that Lucius have siblings, much less sisters whose name as above. It also mentioned his mother name was Abril Rosier. Again, I do not know where this name comes from. I did some Google search and some website these information too. Can you all look into this? Thanks.
The website for the quiz is: http://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz/quiz335603266b6f0.html
The website for the correct solution to the quiz is: http://www.funtrivia.com/en/subtopics/Ultimate-Lucius-Malfoy-335603.html
Seasrmar 07:57, August 18, 2011 (UTC)
- These seem to be original characters invented for a Harry Potter role-playing game played by fans on LiveJournal (here is "Meliora Malfoy's" journal, for example). ★ Starstuff (Owl me!) 21:29, August 18, 2011 (UTC)
Slug Club? Edit
It is not mentioned that Lucius was ever a member of Slughorn's Slug Club back in Hogwarts. Though an image is shown from the films with Young Lucius in the Slug Club, in Half-Blood Prince Draco asks Slughorn if he knew his grandfather - he makes no reference to Slughorn knowing his own father, Lucius or of his father ever having been in the Slug Club. I also notice there is no citation for the information that states he was in the Slug Club. Please check this out! Thanks 220.127.116.11 23:38, September 12, 2011 (UTC)Serena Prongs
Infobox image Edit
Can we change the infobox image? Aside from being a bit blurry, I feel like it doesn't fully represent Lucius. It merely is one of the latest available images for him, and represents a dark period in his life. It may be a matter of personal preference, but I think an image from CoS - though probably not as his hair changes slightly from CoS to GoF - GoF, or OotP would better suit the page. Thanks, Ministry Notifications 22:28, October 16, 2011 (UTC)
- First of all, I'm pretty sure our policy is to use an image from the most recent film (or whatever other work, for non-film characters) they appeared in for the infobox (though I can't actually find anything that says this in the polices). That said, I agree the current image is less than satisfactory. Though there would obviously need to be some sort of vote, I think these are the best ones currently on the wiki. I personally prefer Image 1. 1337star 05:20, October 17, 2011 (UTC)
- I personally also like Image 1 of the ones selected, however, I think it's a bit odd that we use the most recent image. I can see where we would use an image for, say, Flitwick from one of the later films as opposed to PS or CoS, but for characters whose appearance does not change, I think it's rather silly. Just in my opinion, infobox images should showcase how a character usually or wishes to appear. Therefore, I think an image from GoF or OotP should be used - Lucius's hairline is slightly different in these two later instalments than in CoS. Just an opinion, although these selections are much better than the current image. For now, as we are in agreement, I'm going to put up Image 1. Feel free to change it if necessary. Yours,
- Ministry Notifications 01:59, November 5, 2011 (UTC)
"Battle of Hogwarts participants" cat?Edit
Should Lucius really be under the Battle of Hogwarts participants category? While he was there, among the Death Eater ranks, he did not technically parttake in the Battle (LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 depicts this nicely, having him serving Voldemort tea and cookies the whole time). -- 19:05, January 8, 2012 (UTC)
Featured article signEdit
That's not a good place for the sign. It breaks the infobox.21:26, July 10, 2012 (UTC)
- I don't think it's the FA tag. Something's gone wrong with the formatting in the infobox templates. It seems to be affecting all of them. - Nick O'Demus 21:30, July 10, 2012 (UTC)
- That's very possible because I also saw already many articles with this problem. The colour of the text also changed and is sometimes hard to read, look at the Wizard individual infobox for example - grey in brown, oh God! Have we also a vandal Bot here? 21:34, July 10, 2012 (UTC)
- Not sure what's going on. It seems to be affecting all of the infoboxes, but only the infoboxes. All of the other templates I checked seem to be fine. I noticed that BachLynn23 had previously notified Grunny about her concern that an html5 switch would adversely affect several of our templates (don't ask me what that means, I'm not a tech person), so I posted another message to Grunny about the problem. - Nick O'Demus 21:48, July 10, 2012 (UTC)
Work at the Ministry Edit
I am unconvinced that Lucius had a job at the Ministry. Apparently the sole evidence we are using for this is his comment to Mr. Weasley in the second film - "I'll see you at work, Arthur." But on Pottermore Rowling says that Malfoys don't have any need to work for a living. Furthermore, in Phoenix, Mr. Weasley states that Mr. Malfoy is always popping in and out of the Ministry. So when he said "I'll see you at work," he could have just been referring to Mr. Weasley's work, a bit of an odd phrasing, but not necessarily out of the question. ProfessorTofty (talk) 16:48, July 11, 2012 (UTC)
Lucius Malfoy II Edit
With the recent information revealed in Pottermore, we found out there was at least another Lucius Malfoy before this current one. For more information see Lucius Malfoy I. So should we rename this one as Lucius Malfoy II? Not the article title, but just where it mentioned his name first within the article. Sort of like the Sirius Black (Marauder one) is referred to as Sirius Black III, because he's at least the third Sirius Black in his family. Seasrmar (talk) 21:24, July 11, 2012 (UTC)
- Nah. In Sirius's case, we know pretty much the whole family tree between him and the first Sirius Black, so we can be reasonably sure that he is, indeed, Sirius Black III. Here, though, we don't know if there were other Lucius Malfoys between the first one and this one. -- 1337star (Drop me a line!) 21:46, July 11, 2012 (UTC)
- I do see your point for the most part But how do we know the first Sirius Black we saw on the family tree is indeed Sirius Black I? The family tree we saw only went back to the mid 19th century with Phineas Nigellus Black imediate family. The family tree in OotP goes back to the Middle Ages. There may be other Sirius Black back then? The family tree we got only show 3 Sirius Black but it's not complete. Also couple things to consider. How do we know that there isn't a possibilty that some of the disown member may also have a son name Sirius Black. There are male family who are disowned that isn't shown for obvious reason. What makes you think they can't have sons and name them Sirius Black? Also, the way JKR wrote "The first Lucius Malfoy..." kind of hint to me this. So you know the second Lucius Malfoy, now the one first one did this... What everybody else think? Seasrmar (talk) 22:54, July 11, 2012 (UTC)
- I do believe that Draco's father is the second; as stated by Seasrmar above, why would J.K. write "The first Lucius Malfoy..." if he WASN'T the first? She makes mistakes in the novels, but she's usually good with the names on the Family Trees. I believe it SHOULD be Lucius Malfoy II for this page. HarryPotterRules1 (talk) 21:08, July 20, 2012 (UTC)
Runic Error Edit
The rune on the prison card is not Fehu, it is Ansuz. The meaning of Ansuz is correct in the description, the meaning of Fehu is wealth,cattle,etc(similar to Othila). Fehu and Ansuz look similar in most futharks so it's easy to confuse them. Also, don't use wikipedia as a source, that's silly.Ciarin (talk) 06:23, September 5, 2012 (UTC)