Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Ginny and Dean are not a good couple. Harry and Ginny are better. He is fine but not Ginny and Dean.--HallieryElizabeth 17:14, 9 May 2008 (UTC)
- What's the relavence here? Is this discussion going anywhere? Gentlemouse009 10:18, 4 May 2009 (UTC)
I included a section that discusses Dean Thomas being cut as a prominant character in the books. I felt it should be included in greater detail that a few "behind the scenes" notes. Patr0nus ( Expecto Patronum! ) 23:29, 11 August 2009 (UTC)
- On a side note, I'm really disappointed JKR cut Dean for Neville... Patr0nus ( Expecto Patronum! ) 23:29, 11 August 2009 (UTC)
- But,Neville had to be one of the prominent characters, because we all find out later that Voldemort had to choose between him and Harry, since both Potters and Longbottoms stood up against him three times.So, in order to make it more dramatic, it was important for Harry and Neville to be good friends. And Dean's parents weren't "magical", so they couldn't have fought Voldemort. Actually, his father was, but we found out about that here, not in the books. But, to be honest, I do like this guy who plays Dean. I wouldn't mind seeing him more often in the movies.:D Sleeping Beauty 14:34, June 22, 2010 (UTC)Sleeping_Beauty
Changes like  & , I am very confused about how we determine the grammatical authority on the Thomas last name and whether another s should follow a possessive apostrophe. Ty 09:42, April 7, 2010 (UTC)
When someone's name ends in "s", to make it possessive you just add an apostrophe after the s. A second s is not necessary. When someone's name ends in any letter other then s, you add an apostrophe and then an "s".
Example: Harry Potter's wand Dean Thomas' wand --BachLynn23 01:24, July 22, 2010 (UTC)
Why does it say that Dean will only appear in Part 2 of Deathly Hallows? Please don't tell me that he won't be on the run like in the movie. I wanted to see more of Dean...126.96.36.199 22:45, July 10, 2010 (UTC)
- If the movies are to be split at the point where the trio are captured by Snatchers, as is widely speculated, then we will presumably see Dean for the first time at the very beginning of Part 2, being taken to/held at Malfoy Manor with Griphook. But it does seem they've cut out the earlier camp eavesdropping scene as we haven't heard about anyone being cast for Ted Tonks or Dirk Creswell. ★ Starstuff (Owl me!) 23:22, July 10, 2010 (UTC)
Dean or Bem?
The article says that Dean is the one who explains what a Grim is...but I don't remember that happening, and that seems really unlikely given that he was raised by Muggles. In the movie, Bem is the one who explains what the Grim is. I don't have a copy of PoA on hand, but can someone check if that actually happens, and then revise the article if it's incorrect? Synthetique 04:43, August 24, 2011 (UTC)
Actually, no, you're completely incorrect. I just looked it up in PoA, and as I suspected, Dean is clueless and doesn't know what the Grim is. This is page 107 of the American edition of Prizoner of Azkaban. Why even respond to my query if you're just going to pull a fact out of thin air and not actually check? I'm going to edit the main article now. Synthetique 05:11, August 24, 2011 (UTC)
Hey the picture of Dean dancing with Seamus at the Yule Ball is actually from behind the scenes of Goblet of Fire from when they were learning how to dance. Should we remove it? Alumeng 23:01, October 23, 2011 (UTC)
Yes, I agree you should, or at least we should clearly label it a behind-the-scenes photo from GOF of the *actor* playing Dean dancing. 188.8.131.52 04:46, October 24, 2011 (UTC)
DEan Thomas is a Muggle-Born. If anyone denyes it, check Pottermore or the books
Actually, Dean Thomas is a Half-blood. Jo Rowling has said so herself. His father was a wizard but he left Dean's mother after he was born to escape the Death Eaters and when he refused to join them they killed him. He never told Dean's mother what he was, so Dean thinks he's Muggle-born. Also, you need to sign your posts. Gryffindor1991 19:17, November 29, 2011 (UTC)
ok thnx i think that makes sense.Hermionejweasley 22:01, November 29, 2011 (UTC)
In "Later Life" it says "Dean is known to become the new Permernant defense against the dark arts Professor". This isn't sourced - it it something Rowling has said or is it something from the mind if a fan? Aryllia 15:24, December 29, 2011 (UTC)
Where was it mentioned in the books that Dean survived to see the final duel between Harry and Voldemort? If it's only in the movie then shouldn't the movie be the source, not the books? Crazychick08 05:04, January 6, 2012 (UTC)
| This discussion is listed as an Active Talk Page.|
Please remove this template when the question has been answered.
Should we make a note that Dean's ACTUAL surname is unknown? He was not BORN as Dean Thomas - Mr Thomas is hs STEP-FATHER so Dean, before his father left and his mother remarried, would have been "Dean [Father's surname]" and then became Dean Thomas as Mr Thomas raised him and he believed he was muggleborn. HarryPotterRules1 (talk) 20:12, May 9, 2013 (UTC)
- I don't think so, as the books always call him Dean Thomas, and even on Pottermore where his given name is changed to "Gary", he is still Thomas. Therefore, no, I think it should stay the same. --Hunnie Bunn (talk) 20:15, May 9, 2013 (UTC)
- Besides, there's no proof whatsoever that his mother wasn't born [given name] Thomas. --Hunnie Bunn (talk) 00:27, May 11, 2013 (UTC)
- Also, in many real-world cases (at least in America, though I don't see why Britain would be different), a child will keep the surname of their birth father, or in some cases even the maiden name of the mother, rather than the step-father's last name. -- 1337star (Drop me a line!) 01:35, May 11, 2013 (UTC)
- That's what I was saying; if Dean kept his birth-father's name... then it would not be Thomas at all as his step-father was "Mr Thomas"; Dean's surname would be something else entirely. Dean even says that his father "ran off" when he [Dean] was young (or something to that phrase) so would have still been married to Dean's mother at the time of his son's naming and Dean would - unless they chose otherwise, which is unlikely as Dean's mother only married her second husband after her first ran off - take his father's surname. Though he's known in the books as Dean Thomas, his actual name should be something else. --HarryPotterRules1 (talk) 22:41, May 8, 2014 (UTC)
You can request from authority that your child should bear the name of his stepfather. Possibly Mrs. Thomas has done so. But we don't know for sure. It was never said.22:49, May 8, 2014 (UTC)
Very true, but the article should state that, at least when Dean was born and before his father ran off, that he had a different surname - his father's surname - and that it could have been changed after his mother and step-father got married. --HarryPotterRules1 (talk) 23:04, May 8, 2014 (UTC)
- But wait, where do we know the stepfather's name was "Mr Thomas"? "Thomas" could have come from literally anywhere. --Hunnie Bunn (talk) 23:21, May 8, 2014 (UTC)
- Here's the page; looking back at Rowling's site displaying content on Dean, she never calls either the mother, stepfather or father "Thomas". I'm pretty sure it was put on the wiki a while ago and then the name changed when everyone realised it wasn't his actual name. --Hunnie Bunn (talk) 23:30, May 8, 2014 (UTC)
- But how can we be sure of that? Who says Dean Thomas didn't keep his biological father's name after his mother remarried? --Hunnie Bunn (talk) 00:30, May 9, 2014 (UTC)
- Do you mean that all children change their surnames to their stepparents' names unless changed by the law or that they keep their biological fathers' surnames unless changed by law? Besides, who says Dean's mom wasn't born "Miss Thomas", married one man, he left her and she remarried? --Hunnie Bunn (talk) 12:09, May 9, 2014 (UTC)
What I was trying to say here was: is Dean's bio-father Mr Thomas? Or did Dean take the surname of his step-father, Mr Thomas? The pages on the wiki aren't clear about it as they refer to Mrs Thomas's first husband (on her page) as Mr Thomas... But then says that Mr and Mrs Thomas didn't know where their son had gone (on the same page!) when referring to Dean's mother and step-father. Which is it? Is it Mr Thomas and Mrs Thomas had Dean and he ran off and Mrs Thomas remarried and took her husband's new surname... Or is Dean's bio father NOT called Mr Thomas at all? HarryPotterRules1 (talk)
First paragraph citation needed.
The first paragraph of the page needs some review. It says he was murdered by death eaters towards the beginning, but also that his cause of death is unkown in his later life. I don't know myself but we need to look into it.
Edit-I see from later in the page that it meant his father. This should be made to be easier to understand, as it could be read that Dean was the one murdered.
- Did a bit of rewording that hopefully clears it up. - Nick O'Demus 16:19, December 31, 2014 (UTC)