Of course he's related to James even though they may not be father and son- they share the same surname! They cuold be uncle and nephew or ? cousins, ? removed but they are related —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk • contribs) 10:40, 22 April 2008.
- A good guide in general, but there are exceptions. Eg the technological visionary Vannevar Bush had no relation to the 41th and 43th presidents of the USA. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (talk • contribs) 11:47, 22 June 2008.
- It should also be mentioned that the magical world is tinier than the real world, therefore there is a large chance (especially the way JK works, connecting everything) that Charlus is related to Harry.
- Well, presumably Charlus was pure-blood, since he could marry into the Blacks, and so was James' family (by canon), so they must be related, even if distantly, since there aren't enough pure-bloods for any two to be completely unrelated.
- Note that if Charlus wasn't James' father, he and his descendents wouldn't be closely enough related to Harry to be "family" in any socially or legally recognized sense, and thus Harry would have "no living family" even if he had some living second or third cousins.
- One can't automatically presume that Ignotus Peverell is one of Charlus' ancestors, since it's possible (though IMHO unlikely) that the Peverell descendant who married into the Potters did so only after Harry's line had split from Charlus' (assuming, again, that the lines did actually split and Charlus isn't James' father).
- Ebohlman 13:34, May 7, 2012 (UTC)
- —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs) 12:04, 24 February 2009.
You can't just say that if Charlus is not James' father he would not be family in any socially or legally recognized way. A great-grandfather/mother and great-great-grandfather/mother, and so on, is also socially and legally recognized family. Futhermore, Charlus could also be James' grandfather and Harry's great-grandfather, thus making Charlus' son the father of James. 18.104.22.168 05:46, June 6, 2012 (UTC)
Harry does not have any living relatives except the Dursleys in 1981. So Charlus have to die before 1981. He need to die between 1976 and 1981 because Sirius went to the Potter's when he was 16 (1976). So Charlus and Dorea 's death date should be between 1977 and 31 Oct 1981. Anne B. Ng 10:20, June 22, 2014 (UTC)
Charlus Potter must of been a Slytherin or Dora Black would of been blasted off the family tree
I don't think this is true. Sirius also wasn't disowned at age 11 for being a Gryffindor, but at age 16 fo running away. The Blacks were only required to marry pure-bloods who were not considered blood traitor, but could have belonged to any House ot School.--Rodolphus (talk) 13:37, January 21, 2017 (UTC)