Harry Potter Wiki

Talk:British terms

12,078pages on
this wiki

Back to page

Sherbet Lemon

It says sherbet lemons aren't the same thing as lemon drops, and yet they are... and the US versions are translated to lemon drops, rather than sherbet lemon.... AlastorMoody 07:41, November 24, 2011 (UTC)

There's actually a very slight difference between the two. From a bit of Googling, it seems sherbet lemons have a soft center, while lemon drops are completely hard. This is probably why they aren't referred to as lemon drops in the American version after Sorcerer's Stone, it's not accurate. -- 1337star (talk) 18:29, November 24, 2011 (UTC)
Forgive me, American ignorance yet again (I'm American). --AlastorMoody 00:56, November 28, 2011 (UTC)
Sorry that I've come to this party rather late, but — the above isn't completely accurate; "sherbet lemons" are so-called because they have a hollow centre which is filled with sherbet. (The shell is a hard boiled sweet in the shape of a lemon, and in composition and taste exactly similar to a lemon drop.) I also, in my childhood (nearly fifty years ago), came across "orange sherbets" which were what you can probably imagine from this paragraph, but those seem to have died out. — RobertATfm (talk) 21:21, October 20, 2012 (UTC)


You are correct that "hand" is primarily a technical term. However, I would include it as a British term since while you will never hear it used outside of the horse-racing community in the United States, it is occassionaly heard in general conversation in the UK. This is probably due to the fact that horse racing permeates British culture far more deeply than it does in the US. The pertinent example of this is when Ollivander uses it in the course of the "weighing of the wands" in GoF.

Obviously, not something I fell strongly about either way, but on balance I think it is worth including for it's reference value.

Wva 01:09, March 29, 2012 (UTC)

Verb vs. gerund

There was a slight error which I've just corrected; in the phrase "fancy a flutter?", the word "flutter" was described as a verb. This is clearly wrong, since it's "a flutter", not "to flutter"; in this context it is thus clearly a gerund (a verb being used as a noun). -- RobertATfm (talk) 21:10, October 20, 2012 (UTC)


I thought Nosh was a Yiddish term, not a British term. JohnnyLurg (talk) 01:17, January 15, 2014 (UTC)

Both are semi-true. Nosh is English, but it derives from a Yiddish word. Indeed, Yiddish does not use Latin script, so the word couldn't exist in that form in the language at all. -- 1337star (Drop me a line!) 01:23, January 15, 2014 (UTC)


Gateau's hardly a British term is it? It's French. Roydon Namikaze (Talk) 00:36, June 4, 2014 (UTC)

As with "nosh" above, "gateau" is a loanword; it has been adopted into English from French. There are thousands upon thousands of such words in English. — RobertATfm (talk) 03:50, June 4, 2014 (UTC)

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki