Switching Spells are a sub-division of Transforming spells used to switch two different objects. These spells are studied in Hogwarts School, in Transfiguration Class. Hermione Granger performed some perfect switching spells during her time at Hogwarts. Professor McGonagall taught Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger and their classmates this spell in her class in their first year. Three years later, Neville Longbottom accidentally put his own ears on a cactus, prompting Professor McGonagall to scold Neville, and warn him not to show anyone from Durmstrang his lack of talent.
Behind the scenes
- In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, when Harry and Ron are going to duel Draco Malfoy, Hermione complains that they will lose all of the points that she gained from Professor McGonagall for knowing about Switching Spells.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
Notes and references
|Professors: Albus Dumbledore · Minerva McGonagall|
|Textbooks: A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration · Intermediate Transfiguration · A Guide to Advanced Transfiguration|
|Known practitioners: Emeric Switch · Circe · Falco Aesalon · Mirabella Plunkett · Thaddeus Thurkell ·|
|Transfiguration spells studied at Hogwarts: Chair to cat · Match to needle · Snail to Teapot · Teacup to Rat · Switching Spell · Transforming Spell · Avifors Spell · Mice to Snuffboxes · Beetle Buttons · Rabbit Slippers · Vera Verto · Teapot to tortoise · Draconifors Spell · Lapifors Spell · Vanishing Spell · Owl to opera glasses · Guinea fowl to guinea pig · Hedgehog to pincushion · Small Child to Rat · Meddling Man to Monkey · Crinus Muto|
|Branches of Transfiguration: Transformation · Vanishment · Conjuration · Untransfiguration|