Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Switching Spell is one of many transforming spells used to swap two different objects for one another. They are studied in the fourth year in transfiguration class. Hermione Granger, however, gained points for knowing how to perform the spell in her first year.
Behind the scenes
- Hermione Granger idly suggested to Harry Potter that he might use this spell on a dragon to turn its fangs to wine-gums, but rejected the idea as impractical because as a rule it was nearly impossible to cast a spell through a dragon's hide.
- Hermione also gains some house points for knowing about these spells before they studied them.
- Neville Longbottom proved unable to perform a Switching Spell by October 1994, a fact that was criticised by Minerva McGonagall, who called the spell "simple".
- Harry Potter forgot the definition of a Switching Spell when doing his written Transfiguration O.W.L.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
Notes and references
|Professors: Albus Dumbledore · Minerva McGonagall|
|Textbooks: A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration · Intermediate Transfiguration · A Guide to Advanced Transfiguration|
|Known practitioners: Emeric Switch · Circe · Falco Aesalon · Mirabella Plunkett · Thaddeus Thurkell ·|
|Transfiguration spells studied at Hogwarts: Chair to cat · Match to needle · Snail to Teapot · Teacup to Rat · Switching Spell · Transforming Spell · Avifors Spell · Mice to Snuffboxes · Beetle Buttons · Rabbit Slippers · Vera Verto · Teapot to tortoise · Draconifors Spell · Lapifors Spell · Vanishing Spell · Owl to opera glasses · Guinea fowl to guinea pig · Hedgehog to pincushion · Small Child to Rat · Meddling Man to Monkey · Crinus Muto|
|Branches of Transfiguration: Transformation · Vanishment · Conjuration · Untransfiguration|