The Supreme Mugwump is the name for the head of the International Confederation of Wizards.
Known Supreme Mugwumps
- The first appointed Supreme Mugwump was Pierre Bonaccord. However his appointment was contested by Warlocks in Liechtenstein, due to his opinions on stopping Troll-hunting and rights for Trolls. Liechtenstein, who had been dealing with several nasty Troll communities at the time, refused to attend the first conference, creating difficulties for the new institution.
- Cottismore Croyne and Sidley Smirk Platter also served as Supreme Mugwumps of the International Confederation of Wizards.
- Albus Dumbledore was appointed Supreme Mugwump, but was dismissed from his position following the Ministry of Magic denunciation of Lord Voldemort's return. He was restored as a member of the Confederation after the Ministry's acceptance of Voldemort's return, but not as Supreme Mugwump.
- The current Supreme Mugwump is unknown.
The term mugwump may be derived from the Mugwumps, a group of nineteenth-century American politicians who were against political corruption. That term comes from the Algonquin word mugguomp, meaning "person of importance" or "war leader." There was also a group of British pacifists who joined the Labour Party after World War I who were called Mugwumps.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)