Sugar is a generic name for a number of sweet-flavoured substances used to flavour or sweeten food. Sugar used for human consumption is generally extracted from the sugarcane or sugar beet.
Most candy and other sweets are mostly made of sugar, to the point where some sweets, such as certain brands of Droobles Best Blowing Gum, are advertised as "sugar-free". Yet other sorts of sweets, such as Sugar Quills, Sugar Mice, and sugared violets, blatantly mention that they contain sugar in their titles, generally to differentiate them from sugarless counterparts.
Hokey claimed to have murdered her mistress Hepzibah Smith by disguising a little known poison as sugar for Smith's cocoa. As this was a false memory planted by Tom Riddle, it is unclear if Smith was actually murdered this way or not.
Aside from humans, other species also enjoy the taste of sugar. Baby unicorns seem to enjoy sugar cubes as a snack, as Rubeus Hagrid had a Care of Magical Creatures class feed them some on at least one occasion.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows