- Argus Filch: "What are you doing?"
- Harry Potter: "Nothing."
- Argus Filch: "Nothing! A likely story! Sneaking around on your own -- why aren't you in Hogsmeade buying Stink Pellets and Belch Powder and Whizzing Worms like the rest of your nasty little friends?"
- — Filch grilling Harry about why he wasn't in Hogsmeade.[src]
Stink Pellets are a joke product that presumably releases an unpleasant odour. They were sold in Diagon Alley in Gambol and Japes Wizarding Joke Shop, and in Hogsmeade, most likely at Zonko's Joke Shop. They are not tolerated by Argus Filch. Early in the 1993-1994 school year, Fred Weasley was running low on these and wanted to get some in Hogsmeade. Their usage is similar to that of a Dungbomb, another item not tolerated by the Hogwarts caretaker.
In 1996, as the tyranny of Dolores Umbridge reached a new level with her becoming Headmistress, the students of Hogwarts revolted en masse, and Dungbombs and Stink Pellets were dropped in the halls with such frequency that it became the new fashion for students to use the Bubble-Head Charm just to ensure that they had a supply of fresh, clean air.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Nintendo DS only)