The Stinging Jinx, also known as the Stinging Hex (incantation unknown) is a dark charm that can be used to sting the victim's flesh, producing a red brand like a scorch mark and causing swelling.
It is unknown when the jinx was invented and who it was invented by. Hermione Granger used it on Harry Potter as a means of disguising his face when they were caught by Snatchers after inadvertently triggering the Taboo on Voldemort's name in 1998.
The affected flesh feels tight, swollen and puffy as though the victim has suffered an allergic reaction, and if used on the face the eyes are reduced to narrow slits.
- Hermione Granger
- Unnamed vandal
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault