The Softening Charm is part of the first-year Charms syllabus at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and is later revised in second-year Defence Against the Dark Arts. It is also taught in second-year Transfiguration, where it is described as making "any object squishy and springy."
In the 1980's, Jacob's sibling believed that the spell worked by partially transfiguring the target into a sponge, though they weren't sure if they were properly comprehending the textbook.
Behind the scenes
- In the Harry Potter video games in which it features, to use this spell, a Spongify tile is needed, as seen on the right. Performing the spell on the mat will cause a purple mist to cover the mat, which, when jumped on, will bounce the player high into the air and onto higher ledges or other otherwise inaccessible areas. The effects of the spell would fade after a time -accompanied by the mist rotating and then disappearing- requiring the charm to be cast again if needed.
- The direction of the jump was largely predetermined, sending the player on a fixed trajectory, with some room to move depending on player input.
- A spellbook for this spell could be found somewhere within Hogwarts and was located by Harry Potter.
- In Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Professor McGonagall describes students using this spell on "floor tiles" to "create makeshift trampolines." This is likely a reference to the spongify tiles in previous Harry Potter video games.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First identified as Softening Charm)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) - PS2 version
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) - PC version
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) - PS2 version
|Professors: Filius Flitwick|
|Textbooks: The Standard Book of Spells · Achievements in Charming · Quintessence: A Quest|
|Charmbook writers and charm developers: Miranda Goshawk · Scarpin · Felix Summerbee · Randolph Keitch · Basil Horton · Mnemone Radford · Elliot Smethwyck · Jarleth Hobart · Delfina Crimp · Orabella Nuttley · Levina Monkstanley · Fred Weasley · George Weasley|
|Charms studied at Hogwarts: Levitation Charm · Fire-Making Charm · Softening Charm · Skurge · Aresto Momentum · Cheering Charm · Freezing Spell · Seize and Pull Charm · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Silencing Charm · Mending Charm · Reductor Curse · Colour Change Charm · Growth Charm · Water-Making Spell · Locomotion Charm · Vinegar into Wine · Bird-Conjuring Charm|
|Grade 1 · Grade 2 · Grade 3 · Grade 4 · Grade 5 · Grade 6 · Grade 7|
|Charms included in the series: Fire-Making Spell · Levitation Charm · Locking Spell · Mending Charm · Softening Charm · Severing Charm · Unlocking Charm · Dancing Feet Spell · Disarming Charm · Engorgement Charm · Freezing Charm · General Counter-Spell · Memory Charm · Tickling Charm · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Substantive Charm|