Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Splinching is what occurs when a witch or wizard Apparates or Disapparates unsuccessfully, leaving part of his or her clothes or body behind in their former location. The degree of splinching can range from minimal, such as loss of hair, to life-threatening, such as loss of flesh or muscle, though the damage is usually repairable.
Known cases of splinching
Susan Bones splinched herself during her first Apparition lesson, losing a leg; it was reattached, but the incident left her shaken. It was said to be the first "exciting thing happening" during the lesson.
Ron Weasley failed his Apparition test due to leaving half of an eyebrow behind. Having left school in his Seventh year without ever having passed the test, he was badly injured after splinching away part of his upper arm while escaping from the Ministry of Magic and Grimmauld Place in 1997. He was saved through the quick first-aid work of Hermione Granger, who applied Dittany to the wound. When he briefly abandoned Harry Potter and Hermione Granger, he ended up losing a pair of fingernails.
Arthur Weasley told Harry, Ron and Hermione about two people who tried apparation without a licence and splinched themselves, leaving half of themselves behind.
Previously Splinched people
- Two wizards detained by the Ministry
Behind the scenes
- According to W.O.M.B.A.T., it may be possible to prevent bad luck by turning on the spot three times and deliberately splinching one's thumbs. According to Wilkie Twycross, the splinched body parts are random, meaning it is not possible to deliberately splinch the thumbs.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault