Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "...it isn't a rune and it's not in the syllabary either. All along I thought it was a picture of an eye, but now I don't think it is!"
- —Hermione Granger, referring to the symbol of the Deathly Hallows[src]
Spellman's Syllabary was a textbook used in the class Ancient Runes at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The book contained information on runes and their meanings, and could be used to translate runes into modern English. The edition owned by Hermione Granger was written by Rosana Amorim, but may have been based on an earlier edition by Spellman.
Hermione owned a copy of this book because she took Ancient Runes. In her fifth year, she consulted it for homework while idly discussing the second Quidditch match of the season with Fred Weasley, George Weasley, and Harry Potter. The following year, Hermione took her copy out of her bag while discussing the cursing of Katie Bell with Harry Potter and Ron Weasley, presumably so she could do her Ancient Runes homework.
After the death of Alastor Moody in 1997, Harry, Ron, and Hermione gathered in Ron's bedroom at The Burrow to discuss their plan to hunt Lord Voldemort's Horcruxes. Harry speculated on the fate of Moody's body, causing Hermione to burst into tears over her copy of Spellman's Syllabary. Hermione chose during this meeting to take the book with her on the quest in case she needed to translate runes.
Hermione later used the book to translate the wizarding fairytale collection The Tales of Beedle the Bard from the original runes. The absence of the sign of the Deathly Hallows in the syllabary led her to believe that the symbol might have special significance.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Limited Edition
Notes and references
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 26
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 6
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 24
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 16
- ↑ Harry Potter Limited Edition - A Guide to the Graphic Arts Department: Posters, Prints, and Publications from the Harry Potter Films
|Professor: Bathsheda Babbling|
|Textbooks: Advanced Rune Translation · Ancient Runes Made Easy · Magical Hieroglyphs and Logograms · Rune Dictionary · Spellman's Syllabary|
|Known Runes: Acromantula · Demiguise · Ehwaz · Eihwaz · Fwooper · Graphorn · Hydra · Quintaped · Runespoor · Salamander · Unicorn · Unknown · Mark of Merlin|