- "But her final words were drowned as a different voice echoed through the hall. It was high, cold, and clear: There was no telling where it came from; it seemed to issue from the walls themselves."
- —Description [src]
This charm is particularly useful for amplifying one's voice, although using it on oneself for a long period of time will result in hoarseness thereafter. When using the charm on an inanimate object one must simply point their wand at the device and either verbally or non-verbally incite the incantation. The counter-spell to this charm is Quietus.
|Albus Dumbledore||30 October, 1991||
Dumbledore used this spell wandlessly in 1991 to calm down the students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry during the Hallowe'en feast after Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor Quirinus Quirrell came screaming into the Great Hall, yelling about a troll in the Dungeons.
|1994–1995 school year||Dumbledore used the spell several times during the Triwizard Tournament to get the students attention before and after each task.|
|Ludovic Bagman||25 August, 1994||Bagman used the spell to set off the Quidditch World Cup in 1994 between the Irish National Quidditch team and Bulgarian National Quidditch team.|
|Molly Weasley||25 December, 1997||Molly Weasley used this spell to turn up the volume on the radio in 1997 to be able to listen to Celestina Warbeck, her favourite witch singer, after she was annoyed by Fleur Delacour talked louder and louder on purpose.|
|Tom Riddle||2 May, 1998||Tom Riddle used this spell in 1998 to bring his messages around to the entire Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry during the Battle of Hogwarts.|
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, it was Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge that used this spell, as Ludovic Bagman was cut from the film.
- In the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 game a black/grey cloud appear in the air above those who have to hear Voldemort's messages.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First identified as Amplifying Charm)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault (mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 8 (The Quidditch World Cup)
- ↑ Pottermore - see this URL
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 16 (A Very Frosty Christmas)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 31 (The Battle of Hogwarts)