- "I? I see myself holding a pair of thick, woollen socks."
- —Albus Dumbledore on what he sees in the Mirror of Erised
On Hallowe'en 1991, when Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley went to search for Hermione Granger to save her from the mountain troll that had been let into Hogwarts, Harry detected an odour that smelled like "a mixture of old socks and the kind of public toilet no one seems to clean."
Not long after Christmas later that year, when Harry was caught staring at the Mirror of Erised by Albus Dumbledore, he asked Dumbledore what he saw when he looked into the mirror. Dumbledore lied that he saw himself holding a pair of thick, woollen socks, noting that one can never have too many socks.
In 1993, Harry Potter tricked Lucius Malfoy into freeing his House-elf Dobby by placing one of his socks into the diary that he handed back to Malfoy. Because he was only given one sock, he thinks that they are worn mixed up. A pair of socks were placed on Dobby's grave after his death.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter LEGO Sets
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 10 - (Hallowe'en)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 12 - (The Mirror of Erised)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 11 - (The Firebolt)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 9 - (The Woes of Mrs Weasley)