Similar to a gnarled stump
Green pulsating pods about the size of a grapefruit
- "It sprang to life at once; long, prickly, bramble-like vines flew out of the top and whipped through the air. One tangled itself in Hermione's hair and Ron beat it back with a pair of secateurs; Harry succeeded in trapping a couple of vines and knotting them together; a hole opened in the middle of all the tentacle-like branches; Hermione plunged her arm bravely into this hole, which closed like a trap around her elbow. Harry and Ron tugged and wrenched at the vines, forcing the hole to open again and Hermione snatched her arm free, clutching in her fingers a pod...At once, the prickly vines shot back inside and the gnarled stump sat there looking like an innocently dead lump of wood"
- —Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger dealing with the Snargaluff plant in sixth year Herbology class[src]
The Snargaluff is a plant with the appearance of a gnarled stump, but hides dangerous thorn-covered vines that attack when provoked and is usually best handled by more than one person. It contains green pulsating pods about the size of a grapefruit which can be extracted. These are then broken open and the contents, which resemble pale green tubers, collected in bowls. Sixth year Herbology students learn to extract these pods. The Lovegood family had some of these plants in their garden in front of their house.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- J.K. Rowling's Official Site (W.O.M.B.A.T.)
|Professors: Herbert Beery · Pomona Sprout · Neville Longbottom|
|Textbooks: Flesh-Eating Trees of the World · Goshawk's Guide to Herbology · Magical Water Plants of the Mediterranean · One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi · Winogrand's Wonderous Water Plants|
|Hogwarts class: Herbology Award · Herbology Lesson Cup · Herbology Race Cup · Herbology Store|
|Hogwarts greenhouses: One · Two · Three · Four · Five · Six · Seven · Professor's Office|
|Herbologists: Herbert Beery · Miranda Goshawk · Elladora Ketteridge · Beaumont Marjoribanks · Nepali wizard · Phyllida Spore · Tilden Toots · Hadrian Whittle · Sir Winogrand · Selina Sapworthy|
|Plants Studied: Bouncing Bulb · Bubotuber · Devil's Snare · Fire Seed Bush · Mandrake · Mimbulus Mimbletonia · Puffapod · Screechsnap · Self-fertilising shrub · Snargaluff · Spiky Bush · Spiky Prickly Plant · Umbrella Flower · Venomous Tentacula · Whomping Willow · Wild rice|