|Snake Summons Spell|
Serpensortia (ser-pen-SOR-shah, SER-pehn-SOR-tee-ah)
Conjures a snake
- "The "Snake Summons" spell originated in India and is often illicitly used today by wizards who are called by the Muggle moniker, "Snake Charmers"."
It was used by Draco Malfoy while engaging in a practice duel against Harry Potter in 1992 in the Duelling Club, after Severus Snape whispered the advice to Draco. This prompted Harry to speak to the snake, discovering for the first time that he was a Parselmouth and causing some other students to suspect that he was the Heir of Slytherin. It is very strange that Malfoy is able to cast this spell in his second year as it summons a live creature, a very advanced form of magic not taught at Hogwarts until sixth year, however, this may have been because it seems to be a sort of curse.
Serpens is Latin for "serpent". Ortus is the past participle of the Latin verb oriri "to be created".
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the counter-spell of Serpensortia is shown to be Vipera Evanesca. Professor Snape used it to vanish the snake Draco conjured. It should also be interesting to note that, while the book says the Serpensortia snake is long and black, the film version's is a cobra. However, althrough it is not mentioned, it is possible that the book version also is a cobra as black coloured cobras also exist. It is also funny to note the counter-spells incantation is Vipera Evanesca as the Latin name of the common adder used in Harry Potter: Spells is Vipera berus.
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, during the Skirmish at Malfoy Manor in 1998 Bellatrix Lestrange may have used this spell to choke Fenrir Greyback.
- It is possible that this spell or a variant of it can also be used to transform objects into snakes. Lord Voldemort transformed a fiery rope into a serpent in 1996, and Severus Snape did the same two years later. Both serpents were described as black, matching the Serpensortia snake´s colour.
- Harry Potter.com (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Possible use)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (DS version)
- Harry Potter: Spells
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game