The common room is a dungeon-like room with greenish lamps and chairs. This dungeon extends partway under the lake, giving the light in the room a green tinge. The common room has lots of low backed black and dark green leather sofas with buttons, skulls, and dark wood cupboards. It has quite a grand atmosphere, but also quite a cold one. The password to the common room changes every fortnight, and it is posted on the noticeboard. It is decorated with tapestries featuring the adventures of famous Medieval Slytherins.
In Harry Potter's second year, he and Ron Weasley went into the Slytherin common room disguised as Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle with the aid of Polyjuice Potion to attempt to discover the identity of the Heir of Slytherin. The entry password was "Pure-blood" when Draco Malfoy let them in. The Polyjuice Potion's wearing off prompted Harry and Ron to leave after staying nearly an hour, still not finding out the identity of the Heir of Slytherin.
Behind the scenes
- In the video game version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, there is another way to the common room, where there are several enemies such as Gnomes and Cornish Pixies. There is also a bridge between the Dungeons and the common room, held up by Ectoplasm. A Slytherin student casts Skurge on the Ectoplasm, so you have to find a way to restore the bridge.
- Revealed in Pottermore: It was revealed that often the giant squid appears at the windows, and sometimes more interesting creatures, and that the sound of swishing water is relaxing at night.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Entrance only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Entrance only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)'
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Deleted Scenes)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter LEGO Sets
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
Notes and references