|Skurge Scouring Charm|
The Skurge Scouring Charm (Skurge) is a scouring charm that can be used to clean up the sticky green ectoplasm created by passing ghosts (not to be confused with the more versatile Scouring Charm). It can also be used to frighten spirits, including spectres or poltergeists such as Peeves, who lives in Hogwarts Castle.
This is a rather basic spell, being taught by Professor Filius Flitwick to his second year charms class. It is also included in The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 by Miranda Goshawk, as well as another spellbook that could be found in the Hogwarts Library.
Behind the scenes
- In some ways, this acts as the counter to the Ecto Spell.
- Miranda Goshawk claims in The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 that this is one of many Scouring Charms, perhaps indicating that there are many, each with a different purpose.
- This spell, along with the Avifors Spell, Fire-Making Spell, Knockback Jinx, Wand-Lighting Charm and Severing Charm is excluded from the edition of The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 given on Pottermore.
- As this was referred to as a Scouring Charm before it ever made an appearance in the books, this may simply be an early form of it, and is therefore distinctly different.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (First appearance)
Notes and references
|Professors: Filius Flitwick|
|Textbooks: The Standard Book of Spells · Achievements in Charming · Quintessence: A Quest|
|Charmbook writers and charm developers: Miranda Goshawk · Scarpin · Felix Summerbee · Randolph Keitch · Basil Horton · Mnemone Radford · Elliot Smethwyck · Jarleth Hobart · Delfina Crimp · Orabella Nuttley · Levina Monkstanley · Fred Weasley · George Weasley|
|Charms studied at Hogwarts: Levitation Charm · Fire-Making Charm · Softening Charm · Skurge · Aresto Momentum · Cheering Charm · Freezing Spell · Seize and Pull Charm · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Silencing Charm · Mending Charm · Reductor Curse · Colour Change Charm · Growth Charm · Water-Making Spell · Locomotion Charm · Vinegar into Wine · Bird-Conjuring Charm|