- Hermione: "It is NOT excellent!"
- Fred: "Course it is, they're alive, aren't they?"
- Hermione: "You can't do this, what if you made one of them really ill?"
- Fred: "We're not going to make them ill, we've already tested them all on ourselves, this is just to see if everyone reacts the same —"
- — Fred Weasley and Hermione Granger arguing about testing the sweets on first-years[src]
A Skiving Snackbox is a range of sweets to make the user appear to be ill. They are among a range of products from Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes by Fred and George Weasley. The user develops strange symptoms depending on the type of sweet eaten. The purpose of these were to make a student appear unable to stay in class. Most came in two colour-coded parts: one that would cause the malady, and one that would cure the pupil once they had left class.
HistoryIn 1995, Fred, George, and Lee Jordan handed out various sweets to younger students, after they had tested them on themselves, to see if the reactions were the same. They apparently did not warn the younger students what the sweets would do. This made Hermione Granger furious; while Ron Weasley, her fellow Prefect, refused to interfere, Hermione immediately told the twins and Lee off for experimenting on unsuspecting children. George and Lee tried to reassure her that it was not dangerous, while Fred claimed it was fine since they had paid their subjects, but Hermione insisted that they stop. Fred and George initially scoffed at her attempt to stop them, but immediately backed down when she threatened to tell their mother. Hermione was quite annoyed with Ron for not supporting her in standing up to the twins.
After Fred and George departed from Hogwarts, many students used these snackboxes to feign illnesses, so they could leave Dolores Umbridge's classes, claiming they had "Umbridge-itis", all the while driving her furious.
Known types of Skiving Snackbox
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Disc 2)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Notes and references
- ↑ Order of the Phoenix, Ch. 13