At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
Behind the scenes
- A Maledictus witch appears in the film Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, played by Claudia Kim.
- This was the first time a Maledictus was mentioned in the wizarding world franchise, though blood-related curses were mentioned before with the case of Astoria Malfoy.
- It's unknown if a Werewolf is considered a maledictus. Werewolves transform into beasts based on the moon phases and their wounds were described as cursed by Poppy Pomfrey.
- It's unknown if a Muggle can carry the Maledictus curse.
- Mal is a word of Latin origin meaning "bad", "wrongful", or "ill". Dictus in Latin means "spoken".
- Roughly translated, Maledictus could mean "spoken ill of" or "cursed."
- A malediction is a magical word or phrase used with the intention to cause harm, aka a curse.