Regrows missing bones
Skele-Gro is a dreadful-tasting potion which causes vanished or otherwise lost bones to regrow in a notably slow and painful process. Harry Potter compared it to having a million splinters lodged in his arm. The potion comes in a large bottle and smokes as it is dispensed. Swallowing it burns the throat, and, according to Harry, it tasted awful and he spat it out when he first tried it. For a magical treatment, Skele-Gro is surprisingly slow working, taking most of the night to regrow the bones in Harry's arm.
Harry needed a dose of Skele-Gro after the bones in his right arm were broken during a Quidditch match in the 1992-1993 school year. Despite Harry's wishes, Professor Lockhart foolishly attempted to mend the bones, accidentally causing them to disappear instead. Later that year, when Lockhart completely redecorated the Great Hall as a morale-booster for Valentine's Day, Professor Snape, being one of the teachers, was disgusted by this action, and looked as though he was fed a large beaker of Skele-Gro.
Draco Malfoy mentions in the 1994-1995 school year that he had previously attributed Rubeus Hagrid's giant-like stature to a possible accidental overdose of Skele-Gro as a child. However, it is unknown if the potion could have such an effect, and it is known that Hagrid's size is as a result of being half-giant.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaption of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, according to the label on the Skele-Gro bottle: "1100 drops. Bone Regenerator. Bone-fide results every time. Sold only by Reubens Winkius and Company Inc.".
- The top part of the bottle is shaped like the ribcage and arms of a human skeleton. The lid of a bottle is shaped like a human skull.
- In the film adaption of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Dobby hits himself in the head with the bottle of Skele-Gro when Harry questioned him about what terrible thing was going to happen to the school.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, Madam Pomfrey is out of Skele-Gro, and must make more with the help of Ron and Hermione. Also, the potion appears to work instantly.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- The Making of Harry Potter
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4