|Notable family members|
- Aurora Sinistra - a witch who taught Astronomy at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
- Sinistra - a wizard or witch.
- Sinistra Lowe (possibly) - a witch with possible ties to the Sinistra family. She was an advocate of sisterpure-blood supremacy.
- Mira Sinistra - a witch who taught Art at Beauxbatons Academy of Magic, she is Aurora Sinistra's sister
"Sinistra" originates from the Latin "sinister", meaning "left" or "with a direction to the left". The most probable explanation for this is that the planets of the solar system rotate counterclockwise (from right to left). Sinistra is also the name of a star of the constellation of Ophiuchus. The contemporary meaning of the word "sinister" is "having bad intent"" , but considering the family's limited involvement in the plot, this likely has no meaning to the story.
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 As Aurora Sinistra and Mr. or Ms. Sinistra were both magical, this implies that the family had a certain amount of magical blood, though the case of Colin and Dennis Creevey may disprove this. But, providing that Sinistra Lowe was a family member, it is practically impossible that she was a Muggle-born.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 It is possible that, just like Garino, Name, Laurenzoo and Spellman, Sinistra Lowe used her last name only while working as an author, as Sinistra Lowe is a plausible double-barrel name.
- ↑ Providing that Aurora Sinistra survived the Battle of Hogwarts at the end of the Second Wizarding War.
- ↑ sinester on wictionaryy
- ↑ sinester on wictionary