Silver (chemical symbol: Ag) is a dense, soft shiny grey metal with a high value as money, second only to gold, and is used in jewelery in both muggle and wizarding world. The most common use for silver in the wizarding world is in the Sickle, though the legendary Sword of Godric Gryffindor is also forged from the purest silver.
Unicorn Blood is silver.
The colours of Slytherin are green and silver.
During his tenure as Headmaster of Hogwarts, Albus Dumbledore kept a number of curious and fragile instruments in his office which were made of silver. These were repeatedly destroyed and repaired on numerous occasions.
The Black family earned some silver goblets kept at 12 Grimmauld Place, embossed with their family crest. During the summer holidays of 1995, Mundungus Fletcher examined these and asked Sirius Black if they were solid silver. He disgustedly agreed that they were, 15th-century goblin-wrought silver that was embossed with the Black family crest. In late 1996, Harry Potter discovered Mundungus Fletcher in Hogsmeade with some of these goblets, which he had stolen.
In the many Muggle myths and legends on the subject, werewolves can be killed by using a silver bullet. This is false, however, a mixture of powdered silver and dittany applied to a fresh bite will seal the wound and prevent the victim from bleeding to death.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)