At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
Professor Silvanus Kettleburn (b. 22 November, year unknown) was a wizard who, after graduating from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, served as professor of Care of Magical Creatures. His recklessness and the nature of his subject resulted in him losing all his limbs but one arm and half of one leg. He retired in 1993 but still made visits to dragon sanctuaries.
Silvanus Kettleburn was born to a wizard and a witch on 22 November. He received magical instruction at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, in which he was Sorted into Hufflepuff, and presumably achieved high marks in Care of Magical Creatures, later leading him to become a teacher in that subject.
Professor of Care of Magical Creatures
Under Headmaster Armando Dippet
At some point in his life, Kettleburn became the Professor of Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts School under Headmaster Armando Dippet. During his time as a professor, Kettleburn amassed sixty-two periods of probations. One of which was when a worm he provided for the play of The Fountain of Fair Fortune (which was in fact, an Engorged Ashwinder) exploded and started a fire, also starting a duel between the girls playing Amata and Asha, in which Professor Herbert Beery, the Herbology Professor, was caught in the crossfire. Beery's head was reported to have been disfigured, and it took him a long time for it to return to normal, which led to his retirement as a professor.
At some point in or after the 1969-1970 school year, a student by the name of Patricia Rakepick approached him for information about how to enter the Forbidden Forest undetected. Seen as how she was his most gifted pupil at the time of her inquiry, he questioned her as to why she wanted to go into the forest, to which she replied she merely wanted to explore it and to study the magical creatures that dwelled within it, and told him she meant to become a Magizoologist after she left school. Accepting this explonation, Kettleburn proceeded to share with her secrets about the forest he had learned from a long career spent exploring it himself, and advised her on how to enter the forest undetected. He later came to regret this trust he put in her, however, as he eventually came to distrust her and suspect she had her own reasons for going into the forest that had nothing to do with magical creatures. He also came to believe that whatever she did in there, it was not good.
Under Headmaster Albus Dumbledore
By the time Albus Dumbledore, the Transfiguration Professor, had taken over from Professor Dippet as Headmaster, Professor Kettleburn had calmed down a considerable amount, though this was likely because he only had one and a half of his original limbs left: one arm and half a leg.
- "As to our second new appointment: well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties."
- —Albus Dumbledore at the 1993 Welcoming Feast[src]
Kettleburn remained in his position as Professor of Care of Magical Creatures until 1993, when he retired to spend more time with his remaining limbs. According to Rubeus Hagrid, who succeeded him, Professor Dumbledore came straight to his hut after Kettleburn said that he had had enough. As a retirement present, Albus Dumbledore presented Kettleburn with a set of enchanted wooden prosthetics, which needed constant replacement due to his habit of visiting dragon sanctuaries.
During his retirement, Professor Kettleburn moved to Hogsmeade. During the Battle of Hogwarts, his physical infirmities prevented him from fighting directly but, determined to play his part, he clambered into his attic and threw his entire stock of Flobberworms out of the skylight at passing Death Eaters. While this had little to no effect on the outcome of the battle, it was generally felt to show the right spirit.
Personality and traits
Magical abilities and skills
- Magical skills: As Minerva McGonagall told Harry Potter during the Battle of Hogwarts, "[we] teachers are rather good at magic", suggesting that the faculty at Hogwarts as a general rule consisted of learned and accomplished witches and wizards. As such, it is quite possible that Professor Kettleburn was a very capable wizard, even if his his physical infirmities limited him in some cases. Also, as a fully educated adult, it would be reasonable to assume that Kettleburn was at least reasonable competent regardless.
- Care of Magical Creatures: As the Professor of Care of Magical Creatures, Kettleburn was highly knowledgeable in the subject of Magizoology, being particularly fond of dealing with dangerous ones.
"Silvanus" is a Roman name derived from Latin silva "wood, forest". Silvanus was the Roman god of forests. '
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mentioned only)
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (First appearance)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Professor Kettleburn" at Pottermore
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Pottermore Presents - Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies, Chapter 4 (Silvanus Kettleburn)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Happy Birthday, Silvanus Kettleburn! - Pottermore Insider
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 The Tales of Beedle the Bard (real)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 8 (The Deathday Party)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
|Care of Magical Creatures|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts|
|Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom|
|Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Creatures studied at Hogwarts|
|Hippogriff · Flobberworm · Salamander · Blast-Ended Skrewt · Niffler · Unicorn · Thestral · Bowtruckle · Crup · Fire crab · Knarl · Kneazle · Porlock|