|"There are plenty of eye-witness accounts. Just because you're so narrow-minded you need to have everything shoved under your nose before you–"
This article contains a list of appearances, but currently has few or no notes and references. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by adding notes and/or references to bring this article to a higher standard of quality.
A signature spell (or signature move) is the spell most commonly cast by a witch or wizard, especially when used in the context of duelling. Even though the spell may be the one the caster is best at, its predictability can make its user vulnerable.
According to Remus Lupin in 1997, Lord Voldemort's Death Eaters knew Harry Potter's signature spell was the Disarming Charm, and he urged Harry not to allow that to be the case. Despite this, Harry continued to make good use of the charm, and ultimately used it to defeat Voldemort.
The Killing Curse was known throughout most of the wizarding world to be Voldemort's signature spell, due to his frequent and indiscriminate usage of it; he certainly massacred enough to create an army of Inferi. He also invented the Morsmordre curse for his subordinates, to which it became somewhat of a signature as they usually cast it over locations where they commit murder.
Ginevra Weasley was well-known for her ability to cast a particularly potent Bat-Bogey Hex, which could be considered her signature spell as she used it several times on people who annoyed her and was referred as "an accomplished caster" of the spell.
Behind the scenes
- The Full Body-Bind Curse seems to be the signature move of most if not all Pottermore users, as it is the most popular out of all (not without reason, as it is the most effective spell when duelling, if properly cast); Furnunculus is the least popular.
- In the Nintendo DS version of the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, most characters have a spell only they can use. This could be considered a "signature spell" of sorts. These spells include:
- Harry Potter: Reparo
- Hermione Granger: Alohomora
- Neville Longbottom: Herbivicus
- Filius Flitwick: The Protective enchantments around Hogwarts Castle
- Seamus Finnigan: Reducto
- Ronald Weasley and Minerva McGonagall lack these signature spells, instead having the ability to use the Deluminator and the Animagus transformation respectively.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) (Possible appearance) (Nintendo DS version only)
- Pottermore (Possible appearance)