At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Shrivelfig is a magical plant, the best specimens of which are found in Abyssinia. The flowers of the Shrivelfig grow inside the fruit, both of which are purple in colour. It's a deciduous plant, meaning that its leaves start to shed in autumn, and the plant is leafless during winter. However, due to its aggressive roots, the plant can still survive even in snowy conditions. The leaves have medicinal properties. When skinned the fruit, which is actually the plant's flower and contains blossoms inside, produces a purple liquid with potion-making properties. The ingredient can be purchased at the Apothecary in Diagon Alley for three Galleons.
During the 1987–1988 school year, Shrivelfig was studied in fourth year Herbology class. The Shrivelfigs students learned to grow were brought to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from Abyssinia. During the lesson, Pomona Sprout shared with the class that Severus Snape loved Shrivelfigs, and Nymphadora Tonks expressed that seeing the purple plant made her wanted purple hair.
In 1992, Pomona Sprout had the second year students prune Shrivelfigs with shears during a Herbologyclass. When Harry Potter went to dispose of some withered stalks that he had trimmed off his Shrivelfig, he ran into Ernie Macmillan, and afterwards Ernie brought Hannah Abbott to work at the same plant as Harry and Ron Weasley. It was in this lesson Harry and Ron realised there were some spiders heading to the Forbidden Forest.
In 1993, Severus Snape taught his third year Potions students to brew the Shrinking Solution. Draco Malfoy claimed that his injured arm prevented him from tending to his own ingredients, so Snape ordered Harry Potter to peel the required Shrivelfigs for Draco, a task which Harry did as quickly as possible.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- The Road to Hogwarts Sweepstakes
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- ↑ Pottermore
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 11 (Beautification Potion) - Herbology Lesson "Shrivelfig"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 15 (Aragog)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 7 (The Boggart in the Wardrobe)