Shrinking Solution is a potion that causes the drinker to decrease in size or apparent age. It is bright green when brewed correctly and, if prepared incorrectly, it can apparently be poisonous.
Severus Snape had third-year students brew Shrinking Solution during a Potions class in 1993. Draco Malfoy, whose arm had been injured by Buckbeak, complained to Snape that he was not able to prepare his ingredients himself, so the Professor made Harry Potter and Ron Weasley do the work for Draco. During the same lesson, Neville Longbottom messed up his potion, turning it orange by putting in too many rat spleens and too much leech juice. Discovering the error, Professor Snape threatened to test the botched potion on Neville's pet toad, Trevor. Hermione Granger secretly helped Neville to fix the potion, (Snape got very mad at Hermione, for "Whispering instructions in his ear through the side of her mouth", and took points from Gryffindor) and, when Snape made good on his threat, Trevor turned into a tadpole.
The brewing of this potion required the following of these steps:
- Add five sliced caterpillars.
- Heat till the potion turns red.
- Shake the peeled Shrivelfig until it is ready (this is extra important, as if one tries to add it before it is ready the potion may emit noxious green gases).
- Add peeled Shrivelfig until the potion turns yellow.
- Allow the potion to simmer till it turns purple.
- Add four rat spleens to the cauldron.
- Add the minced daisy roots till it turns green.
- Add five drops of leech juice.
- Add more of the Shrivelfig, this time till it turns pink.
- Add one sliced caterpillar.
- Allow the potion to simmer till it turns green.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (GBA version only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- The Road to Hogwarts Sweepstakes
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game (As Shrinking Potion)
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found