Shrinking Solution, also known as a Shrinking Potion, is a potion that causes the drinker to decrease in size or apparent age. It is bright green when brewed correctly and, if prepared incorrectly, it can apparently be poisonous.
Professor Severus Snape assigned his then-second year students a "particularly nasty" essay on Shrinking Potions during the summer holidays, and when they returned that fall, the first potion he had them brew was this one. When Draco Malfoy, who had injured his arm being attacked by Buckbeak the Hippogriff, returned to class, Snape had Harry Potter and Ron Weasley brew his potion for him. In the same lesson, Neville Longbottom added too much leech juice and rat spleens, and Professor Snape threatened to poison Neville's pet toad, Trevor, with the botched potion at the end of class. Luckily, however, Hermione Granger helped Neville fix it and when it came time for Snape to test the potion, Trevor turned into a tadpole.
The brewing of this potion required the following of these steps:
- Add five sliced caterpillars.
- Heat till the potion turns red.
- Shake the peeled Shrivelfig until it is ready (this is extra important, as if one tries to add it before it is ready the potion may emit noxious green gases).
- Add peeled Shrivelfig until the potion turns yellow.
- Allow the potion to simmer till it turns purple.
- Add four rat spleens to the cauldron.
- Add the minced daisy roots till it turns green.
- Add five drops of leech juice.
- Add more of the Shrivelfig, this time till it turns pink.
- Add one sliced caterpillar.
- Allow the potion to simmer till it turns green.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (GBA version only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- The Road to Hogwarts Sweepstakes
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game (As Shrinking Potion)
Notes and references