|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
|Shield penetration spell|
Point to the place where the spell is desired to hit
Used to break down magical shields
This spell (incantation unknown) is used to break magical protections. It takes a vast quantity of power to cast. It was used by Lord Voldemort in 1998 to break the defensive enchantments cast over Hogwarts Castle during the Battle of Hogwarts. It is possible that this spell was so powerful, because of the power of the elder wand.
Behind the scenes
- In the second film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when this spell was used by Voldemort with the Elder Wand, it cracked the Elder Wand slightly along its length. Whilst one may take this as an outward sign of the power required by this spell, it should be noted that Voldemort was not the master of the wand then, so it may be easier to cast in other circumstances.
- In the second film adaptation of Deathly Hallows, the spell is a bluish-white bolt that is very bright and powerful. There is no actual mention of this spell in the novel.
- It is possible that this is the Lightning Spell. The spell that Voldemort uses upon retrieving the Elder Wand from Dumbledore's tomb in order to test it's immense power. As it has a similar colour and texture to that spell.
- In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Dumbledore uses an unidentified spell to temporarily lift the Hogwarts enchantments while he and Harry pass through on broomsticks on their way back from the cave. It is unknown if he used this particular spell, or if they are meant to be the same thing.
- In the second video game adaptation of Deathly Hallows the Shield Charm does not disintegrate like the Hogwarts Shield did, but instead smash like glass when hit by a spell.
- In the second video game adaptation of Deathly Hallows, the spell is not a hard-to-use spell, instead Voldemort simply slashes the wand one time.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 Voldemort is seen drinking tea, but when the Helga Hufflepuff's Cup Horcrux is destroyed he moves the Elder Wand in cicles and then casts the spell; which appears to be a simple green ball of light.