This storeroom, located in the Tapestry Corridor, was where Severus Snape stored his private supply of potions and potion ingredients in Hogwarts. The articles kept here canot so easily be obtained at both in and out of the castle. These included Veritaserum and ingredients for Polyjuice Potion.
It was broken into on at least three occasions, the first during the 1992–1993 school year, when Hermione Granger stole several of the ingredients required in the brewing of Polyjuice Potion. It was again broken into, during the 1994–1995 school year, when Bartemius Crouch Jr. stole ingredients for Polyjuice Potion, which he was using to disguise himself as Alastor Moody. Dobby the house-elf also broke into it to steal Gillyweed for Harry Potter, which he used in order to compete in the Second Task of the Triwizard Tournament. Snape suspected Harry Potter of stealing the ingredients until Crouch was interrogated at the end of the school year.
Behind the scenes
- Despite the dangerous contents of the storeroom, a second year Hermione Granger was able to break in and steal ingredients to concont a Polyjuice Potion.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Neville Longbottom supplied Harry with the Gillyweed. How he got it is unknown, but it is likely that he, like Dobby, broke into the storeroom. Neville could also possibly have stolen some from the Herbology Greenhouses.
- In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film), Igor Karkaroff confronts Severus Snape about the return of his Dark Mark, and Snape accuses Harry Potter of theft and threatens to use Veritaserum on him in this storeroom. In the book, both of these events happen in the Potions Classroom.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4