Divides the target.
The Severing Charm (Diffindo) is a spell that rips, divides, and separates objects into parts. At Hogwarts, it is learned in the second year. It can cut human flesh if used inappropriately or defensively, and therefore can cause death or serious injury.
|Known Caster||How Used|
|Harry Potter||Used in 1994 on Cedric Diggory's bookbag to delay him from class so Harry could warn Cedric privately about the First Task.|
|Ron Weasley||Used to sever the lace sleeves of his dress robes before the Yule Ball.|
|Harry Potter||Used to detach the front cover of the shop-bought Advanced Potion-Making and the Half-Blood Prince's version, then swapped covers and repaired with the Reparo spell.|
|Hermione Granger||Used in 1997 to remove the bindings on Ron Weasley after a skirmish at the Luchino Caffe; she trembled while doing this, and cut Ron in the process, suggesting that the Severing Charm can have a slicing effect on flesh.|
|Hermione Granger||Used this spell again to remove Salazar Slytherin's Locket from Harry Potter's chest shortly after they narrowly escaped Lord Voldemort in Godric's Hollow.|
- In 1996, Harry Potter cast this in an attempt to sever the tentacles of thought that the attacking brain wrapped around Ron during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries. 
- In 1997, Harry Potter used this spell to try to cut Mrs. Cattermole free of the chained chair in the Wizengamot courtroom, but it did not work. 
- Also in 1997, Harry used this spell in an attempt to destroy the locket Horcrux, which did not succeed. 
Diffindo is the Latin first person active indicative for "to split, cleave, or open."
Behind the scenes
- In the Harry Potter Trading Card Game, Diffindo is incorrectly labelled as a Transfiguration.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, the spell cuts through red LEGO walls, then the player can use the pieces to build different objects.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) 
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (film)
- ↑ Prominently used and essential in Herbology, where it can cut through tough vines.