Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "The end of his wand exploded. Harry watched, aghast, as a long black snake shot out of it, fell heavily onto the floor between them and raised itself, ready to strike."
This spell was utilised by Draco Malfoy during the first Duelling Club meeting in 1992 at the advice of Snape, summoning forth a black serpent in an attempt to attack Harry Potter. After a failed attempt by Gilderoy Lockhart to dispose of it, the snake was obliterated by Severus Snape, vanishing in a cloud of black smoke.
Serpens is Latin for "serpent"; ortus is the past participle of the Latin verb oriri "to be created".
Behind the scenes
- The Snake Summons Spell and Bird-Conjuring Charm are the easiest living creatures to conjure.
- The counter-charm is Vipera Evanesca
- Although the book states that the snake is conjured (brought forth into existence from nothingness), the Harry Potter Official Website states, when a user attempts to cast the spell at the farthest edges of the room, that: "It appears the snake did not hear you. Try to cast your spell in the centre of the room", suggesting that the serpent is brought forth from elsewhere.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (DS version)
- Harry Potter: Spells
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells (Indirectly mentioned only)