Selina Sapworthy was a witch, a Gryffindor alumna at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and, later in her life, an award-winning author in the fields of Herbology and plant-related Divination. She was also a loyal servant to the International Quidditch Team, sometime after her graduation.
Selina Sapworthy was born somewhere in the British Isles and, in her youth, attended Hogwarts, where she was Sorted into Gryffindor House. During this time, she presumably excelled in the studies of Herbology and Divination, as she later wrote books on both subjects.
She went on to write an Herbology book, Winogrand's Wondrous Water Plants, focusing specifically on the water plants among Sir Winogrand's collection in the African Lakes. It was part of the required reading at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for at least a quarter of a century. She also published Xylomancy, a book exploring the eponymous (and often overlooked) art of Divination by twigs.
- Selina is the English spelling of the name Celine (as in Celine Dion). Celine is a short form of the French name Marcelline, the feminine form of Marcel.
- Selina is also an alternate spelling of the name Selena.
"Selena" is the Latinized form of "Selene", a Greek name that means "moon". Selene was the name of a Greek goddess of the moon, sometimes identified with the goddess Artemis. "Sapworthy" may be a variation of the English surname "Sapworth", and a pun on the word "sap", the word used to describe the juice of plants of any kind, especially the ascending and descending juices or circulating fluid essential to nutrition, as both her known published works involve plants in some way.
Behind the scenes
- The portrait of Selina Sapworthy featured in the Harry Potter films seems to have been based on a 1840 portrait of Mary Shelley, author of the Gothic novel Frankenstein: or, The Modern Prometheus, by artist Richard Rothwell.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Name on book cover)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ World Exclusive Interview with J K Rowling
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Harry Potter Limited Edition
- ↑ See this image.
- ↑ Harry Potter Limited Edition - A Guide to the Graphic Arts Department: Posters, Prints, and Publications from the Harry Potter Films (see this image).
- ↑ Pottermore
- ↑ "Selena" on Behind the Name
Classroom 6A · Classroom 6B · Corridor · Disused bathroom · East Wing · Empty classroom · Floor 6 Bonus · Glanmore Peakes' Corridor · Horace Slughorn's office · Room of Rewards · Storeroom · Trophy Room · Writing Supplies Room · Staircase between the sixth-floor and seventh-floor corridor
Damara Dodderidge · Edgar Stroulger · Edessa Sakndenberg · Glanmore Peakes · Selina Sapworthy · Skeleton in a top hat · Portrait in storeroom · Temeritus Shanks · Vindictus Viridian · Wendelin the Weird