In 1993, Albus Dumbledore hired security trolls to guard the Fat Lady's portrait after Sirius Black attacked her in an attempt to get into Gryffindor Tower and Sir Cadogan was fired for letting him in while he was covering for the Fat Lady. These Trolls were placed in the North Wing and were evidently a different type of Troll than the mountain variety, since they seemed considerably more intelligent and less smelly. They spent all their time pacing the corridor in front of the Fat Lady's portrait, giving dirty looks to everyone who happened by and comparing the sizes of their clubs. They left at the end of the year, when Sirius led the Ministry into knowing that he fled out of the country.
In 1996, Dolores Umbridge apparently hired security trolls to guard Harry Potter's Firebolt. This was after Fred and George Weasley made their final departure from Hogwarts and had stolen their brooms back, Umbridge decided that it would be best to move Harry's broom to the Dungeons with the added security measure of security trolls. They were eventually dismissed when Umbridge left, and Harry got his Firebolt back.
Behind the Scenes
- Despite not appearing in the films, the trolls are included in the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban as well as the first LEGO video game.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, they appear wearing blue security hats. They would hit the ground causing giant waves blowing away anyone who hits a spell at them.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) (Nintendo DS verison only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4