Screech Owls are typical owls (Strigidae) belonging to the genus Megascops. Twenty-one living species are known at present, but new ones are frequently recognized and unknown ones are still being discovered on a regular basis, especially in the Andes.
On 24 June, 1995, one of these owls delivered Hermione Granger her morning's copy of the Daily Prophet. This was "as usual," so it is possible that this paper was always delivered to her by one of these birds, though on 2 September of that year at the start of the new school year, the paper was delivered to her by a Barn Owl instead. Just a bit later in the year, however, she had another copy delivered to her by a Screech Owl.
During the summer holidays of that year, another of these owls sent Harry Potter an official letter from Mafalda Hopkirk telling him that he had been expelled from Hogwarts and that Ministry representatives were coming to destroy his wand.Aodin Mirlor
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (PS1 version only) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault (mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Screech Owl at Wikipedia
- ↑ Pottermore
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 31 - (The Third Task)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 12 - (Professor Umbridge)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 14 - (Percy and Padfoot)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 2 - (A Peck of Owls)