At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "She pointed her wand at Hedwig's cage. 'Scourgify.' A few feathers and droppings vanished."
- —Nymphadora Tonks's use on Hedwig's cage[src]
Many wizarding families use this spell, both for cleaning and punishing people who swear.
The Scouring Charm was used by Nymphadora Tonks when attempting to clean Hedwig's cage during their liberation of Harry Potter from 4 Privet Drive in 1995. It was later used by Ginevra Weasley on 1 September that year on the Hogwarts Express to clear Stinksap that had squirted from Neville's Mimbulus mimbletonia.
- Hermione Granger
- Jacob's sibling
- James Potter
- Neville Longbottom
- Nymphadora Tonks
- Ginny Weasley
- Mathilda Grimblehawk's partner
- Andromeda Tonks (possibly)
Perhaps related to English scour, "clean". -ify is a common English suffix meaning "to make ...". Therefore scourgify could mean "to make clean".
Behind the scenes
- This charm has a curiously similar incantation to the Cleaning Charm.
- Skurge may be a variant of this spell.
- In Wonderbook: Book of Spells, the hand gesture is "a smooth, sinuous motion, like a letter 'S".
- The Scholastic Official Site lists this as the Vanishing Spell.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 28 (Snape's Worst Memory)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 10 (Seeing Red) - Charms Lesson "Scourgify"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 15 (Dark Secrets)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 14 (The Unforgivable Curses)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 3 (The Advance Guard)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 10 (Luna Lovegood)