|"There are plenty of eye-witness accounts. Just because you're so narrow-minded you need to have everything shoved under your nose before you–"
This article contains of a list of appearances, but currently has few or no notes and references. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by adding notes and/or references to bring this article to a higher standard of quality.
At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "She pointed her wand at Hedwig's cage. 'Scourgify.' A few feathers and droppings vanished."
- —Nymphadora Tonks's use on Hedwig's cage[src]
The Scouring Charm was used by Nymphadora Tonks when attempting to clean Hedwig's cage during their liberation of Harry Potter from 4 Privet Drive in 1995. It can also be used on humans. James Potter used it on Severus Snape in the grounds, causing soap to fill his mouth. Many wizarding families use this spell, both for cleaning and punishing people who swear.
- Hermione Granger
- James Potter
- Neville Longbottom
- Nymphadora Tonks
- Ginny Weasley
- Mathilda Grimblehawk's partner
- Andromeda Tonks (possibly)
Perhaps related to English scour, "clean". -ify is a common English suffix meaning "to make ...". Therefore scourgify could mean "to make clean".
Behind the scenes
- This charm has a curiously similar incantation to the Cleaning Charm.
- Skurge may be a variant of this spell.
- In Wonderbook: Book of Spells, the hand gesture is "a smooth, sinuous motion, like a letter 'S".
- The Scholastic Official Site lists this as the Vanishing Spell.