This article has a draft article based on unofficial reports from the original West End production of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Please add any Cursed Child-related information to this draft article, which will be reconciled with the main article once an official source is available.
Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy (b. 2006) was a pure-blood wizard and the son of Draco and Astoria Malfoy (née Greengrass). He attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from 2017 onwards and was a classmate of Rose Weasley and Albus Potter.
Early life (2006-2017)
Scorpius was born circa 2006 to Draco Malfoy and Astoria Greengrass. Scorpius was raised in Great Britain and was said to have inherited his father's and grandfather's looks; blonde hair, grey eyes, and a pale pointed face. In contrast to his parents and grandparents, Scorpius was not raised with traditional pure-blood beliefs that taught him to regard Muggles and non-pureblood wizards as inferior so he was likely much more tolerant of them.
Hogwarts years (2017-?)
In 2017, Scorpius was accompanied by his parents to King's Cross Station to go to his first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Others in his year included Albus Potter and Rose Weasley; Rose was discouraged by her father from becoming "too friendly" with Scorpius and was encouraged to beat him in every test.
Scorpius has inherited his father Draco's physical traits, meaning that he has blond hair, grey eyes, and a pale pointed face. He is noted for looking almost the same as his father did at age eleven. He is said to resemble Draco as much as Albus Potter resembled Harry Potter.
- The word Scorpius is Latin for "scorpion". Like his father (and to an extension of the Black family), Scorpius was named after a constellation, carrying on the tradition of giving astronomical names, started by the family of his paternal grandmother. In Western astrology, it is the sign of Scorpio and is linked in Greek mythology to Hades, god of the underworld, as well as the scorpion that killed the hunter Orion.
- In Greek mythology, Hyperion was the 'God of the Sun and Light', the name means 'He who watches from above'. Hyperion was one of the twelve Titans who were eventually overthrown by the Olympians. He was also known for helping to overthrow his father, Uranus. It is also the name of one of the moons of Saturn and of an unfinished poem by John Keats.
Behind the scenes
- Scorpius was portrayed by Bertie Gilbert in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. His face was never shown, and he only appears briefly while being hugged by his mother. Bertie Gilbert stated on Twitter that he did film a scene where Scorpius turns around and faces Harry. This may appear as a deleted scene on Blu-Ray or the Ultimate Edition. It is not on the DVD.
- Scorpius will be portrayed by British actor Anthony Boyle in the Original West End Production of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
- Scorpius is a fourth cousin once removed of his classmates Rose Weasley and Albus Potter, and their siblings, Hugo Weasley, James Sirius Potter, and Lily Luna Potter, as all of them are descendants of Phineas Nigellus Black.
- Scorpius is the second cousin of Teddy Lupin.
- Scorpius was the penultimate character introduced in the Harry Potter books.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Epilogue of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ J.K. Rowling confirms Scorpius's middle name behind the door to the Room of Requirement on her official website
- ↑ http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-plays-cast-dracos-son-scorpius-malfoy-103419/
- ↑ Black family tree