- "Funny 'ow they all thinks we wants to 'ear that [they were in Slytherin]. But none of 'em can tell us where the common room is."
- —Scabior commenting on the people he's snatched [src]
Little is known of Scabior's early life. However, given his intimate knowledge of the interior of the Slytherin common room and its location, it is likely he attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in his youth and was a member of that house.
Imprisonment in Azkaban
At some point in his life Scabior was imprisoned in Azkaban for undisclosed crimes, but was released sometime before or after Lord Voldemort's infiltration of the Ministry of Magic on August 1, 1997.
Second Wizarding War
- Fenrir Greyback: "We've caught Harry Potter!"
- Scabior: "I know 'es swollen, ma'am, but it's 'im! If you look a bit closer, you'll see 'is scar. And this 'ere, see the girl? The Mudblood who's been travelling around with 'im, ma'am. There's no doubt it's 'im, and we've got 'is wand as well! 'Ere, ma'am —"
- Narcissa Malfoy: "Bring them in."
- — Scabior's gang of Snatchers arrives at Malfoy Manor with a captured trio[src]
He was among the group that captured Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley in the spring of 1998. On Greyback's orders, Scabior checked the list of truants, searched the prisoners' tent for Harry's glasses, read a cutting from the Daily Prophet and expressed terrified awe at the thought of summoning Voldemort. He was also the only member of the group not to jeer when Greyback expressed a desire to bite Hermione, instead encouraging his leader to restrain himself.
Having taken the trio to Malfoy Manor, where Voldemort had set up base, Scabior assured Narcissa Malfoy the prisoner they had caught was Harry Potter. Later, when Bellatrix Lestrange took Godric Gryffindor's Sword from one of the Snatchers, Scabior drew his wand on her but was quickly Stunned. Draco Malfoy then moved Scabior's unconscious form to the courtyard with those of the other Snatchers.
Battle of Hogwarts and death
On 2 May, 1998, Scabior participated in the Battle of Hogwarts, leading an army of Snatchers. Scabior nearly ran into the protective enchantments cast by the Hogwarts staff, which killed a number of Snatchers. After Voldemort managed to destroy the magical protection around the Castle, Scabior led the Snatchers into the Wooden Bridge, where he briefly duelled Neville Longbottom before the latter cast a spell making the bridge collapse, Scabior attempted to get to safety, but inevitably fell to his death into the chasm below.
Scabior was a tall man with long, tangled brown hair with a red streak on one side. His skin was fair and his eyes blue/grey. Scabior wore dark plaid trousers, black boots, a black studded belt and was later seen wearing Hermione's pink scarf.
Personality and traits
It has not been determined whether he worked as a Snatcher for personal gain or whether he possessed a prejudice against Muggle-borns: Snatchers were generally motivated by the promise of a monetary reward from the Ministry.
Magical abilities and skills
- Martial magic: Scabior was a moderately skilled duelist, as he was able to capture several rebellious Muggle-borns and other runaways, even killing some in battle. He was not fast enough to draw his wand on Bellatrix Lestrange when she attacked him.
- Wand: Scabior owned a wand of unknown length, wood and material.
- Pink scarf (stolen): Hermione Granger owned a pink scarf that she put on a tree. This scarf was later stolen by Scabior and he was seen wearing it.
- Ring: Scabior owned a silver-green ring in the form of a Kudu.
Behind the scenes
- Scabior is portrayed by Nick Moran in the two-part film adaptations of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- In the films, Scabior's role was expanded as he, instead of Greyback, was depicted as the leader of the Snatchers. He also teases Hermione, again instead of Greyback. In fact, the first of the two-part film, Greyback seemed to be a subordinate of Scabior's group, while the second part Scabior led a very large army of Snatchers to invade Hogwarts.
- Scenes that were cut from the film involved Scabior being violent and perverse. Nick Moran said: "It's all very reminiscent of Germany in the 1930s. I give Ron Weasley a proper kicking and call him Ginger. Then I sniff Hermione and say: "You're going to be my favourite". If you take the wands out, it's something out of an Eli Roth movie."
- Scabior is a boss in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game).
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, Scabior is briefly strangled by a whip conjured by Bellatrix, then thrown to the ground and ordered to leave along with Fenrir. This differs from the book, in which he was stunned by Bellatrix and his fate left unknown.
- When the trio were captured by the snatchers in Deathly Hallows: Part 1 to be brought to Malfoy Manor, Scabior appears to be wearing Ron's scarf, which was tied to a tree by Hermione earlier on in the film. This was noticed by an Alohomora listener during their live movie watch.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- ↑ He obviously was not a Muggle-born, as if he was he would not be a Snatcher.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 23 (Malfoy Manor)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Videos: Previews of Tom Felton on Lopez Tonight: EW Deathly Hallows villains feature" on SnitchSeeker.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- ↑ "Deathly Hallows Casting News: Ciaran Hinds to Play Aberforth Dumbledore, More on Nick Moran" on The Leaky Cauldron
- ↑ http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-potter-news/videos-previews-of-tom-felton-on-lopez-tonight-ew-deathly-hallows-villains-feature-77687/