|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The subject of this article is a real-life person, company, product, or creative work that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really exists), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
Salt also known as table salt or rock salt (halite), is a crystalline mineral that is composed primarily of sodium chloride (NaCl). Salting is an important method of food preservation. It is also used to season foods, and is often associated with pepper, as in 'salt and pepper".
According to an alchemical work dating back to the 1550s, salt is used in the making of the perfect medicine, along with Vinegar, Urine, Sal Ammoniac and a particular Sulphur Vive. Salt has more medicinal applications: the treatment of scale rot includes rubbing the affected area with a solution of salt water, and other ingredients. Salt is an ingredient used in the Shimmering Silver Salt Drops sold in Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes.
The saltiness of water is possibly an indicator of the agressivity of the Merpeople living within. Also, there is debate among Herbologists as to the duration of the effects of Gillyweed on freshwater versus saltwater.
- Salt on Wikipedia
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (First appearance)
- J.K. Rowling's Official Site (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Salt at Wikipedia
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (film) - See this image.
- ↑ Ancient drawings (Page 1) from J. K. Rowling's Official Site.
- ↑ Half-Blood Prince creative designer reveals Weasley's Wizard Wheezes props
- ↑ Second question of the Second W.O.M.B.A.T. at J. K. Rowling's Official Site.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) - Chapter 19 (The Second Task)